[movie] was not added to iPad b/c it cannot be played

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
brsedu

[movie] was not added to iPad b/c it cannot be played

Post by brsedu »

Help!

Here are the details I know.

1. Had been using "Apple TV" handbrake preset (not Apple TV 2) since it seems to have worked great for ATV1, ATV2, iPod, and iPad 2.
2. Movies ripped by handbrake in the "Apple TV" preset were added to and played fine on iPad 2.
3. Got iPad 3 ("the new iPad").
4.Tried to add any of the hundreds of movies I ripped with "Apple TV" preset to new iPad 3, and I keep getting the message, "[movie] cannot be added to this iPad since it cannot be played on this iPad".

What gives? I understand that the Retina Display on new iPad is much better but does it really have specs that different that movies that previously worked on earlier iPads do not work on the new iPad?
GregiBoy
Veteran User

Re: [movie] was not added to iPad b/c it cannot be played

Post by GregiBoy »

Don't you really think this should be asked on an Apple forum?
brsedu

Post by brsedu »

I'm asking on the Handbrake forums since this relates to Handbrake ripping presets and how they work with a device that is used to view movies ripped by Handbrake.

Does anyone else have any input as to why videos ripped that played fine on iPad 2 will not play on iPad 3?
th3joker

Post by th3joker »

Not sure, I've been using the original iPad settings which work fine but they are a much lesser resolution than the iPad can handle.

I've remuxed a few things with ffmpeg which has proved better and quicker than handbrake at the moment. But some files simply don't work with the settings I'm using. ffmpeg will work on all platforms I believe.

Also used Subler which also worked well and quickly but is far less polished than Handbrake. Subler is Mac only.

The AppleTV 2 preset output works ok on the new iPad 3 too.

I would imagine a new preset is in the works somewhere.

Will play today and see what I can come up with for manual CLI options.

I've lurked on here for years and only just registered.

Gregiboy you seem to have nothing useful to say when an OP asks about Apple stuff are you a hater? This isn't the only thread I see you offering nothing productive why waste your time?
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

I can't think of a single setting that would make an encode compatible with the AppleTV v1 but incompatible with an iPad 3. Can you post an encode log from one of the files?
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

What happens if you open the MP4 file in Subler, remove the "encoder name" metadata (e.g. "HandBrake 0.9.5") and save it?