Apple TV legacy preset gone?

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Obioban

Apple TV legacy preset gone?

Post by Obioban »

So, I know it's not the most popular of devices, but is there any possible way to get the Apple TV legacy preset back?

I have two ATV2s and two ATV(1)s-- I never use the ATV2s because the library support in the hacked ATV1 is VASTLY better than it is in the ATV2.

I just updated handbrake, and poof, no more ATV1 legacy preset. Not good!

Nor is the current (non legacy) preset any good-- most of the files end up somewhere between 540p and 555p-- hardly HD, imo! The ATV1 can play 720p, ATV legacy preset files without issue. I know, I have literally 6000+ of them!

Thanks!
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: Apple TV legacy preset gone?

Post by s55 »

AppleTV is Max Width of 960, Anamoprhic
AppleTV2 is Max Width of 1280, Anamorphic. (This may well work fine if you've hacked the ATV1 and is the better option. Esp if you have a Crysal HD card inside there)

Bare in mind, HandBrake will not upscale your SD content to 720P so I wouldn't expect SD content to come out near this. What your seeing is likely a result of cropping (which is fine)

You can't bring the old preset back. Even if you could, it's a really bad preset.
You throw full HD content at it, and the output it produces won't even play on stock AppleTV hardware properly, if at all. It's not optimised for quality, or filesize either.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Obioban wrote:Nor is the current (non legacy) preset any good-- most of the files end up somewhere between 540p and 555p-- hardly HD, imo! The ATV1 can play 720p, ATV legacy preset files without issue. I know, I have literally 6000+ of them!
The standard ATV preset is conservative because an unhacked ATV1 would choke on higher resolutions (or at least it used to). Try the ATV2 preset first as s55 recommended. But if that doesn't work for you, you can create your own preset with a higher max resolution easily enough. Just select the ATV preset, save the settings in a new preset, and in the preset save dialog, enable the max width option and set it to 1280.
Obioban

Post by Obioban »

JohnAStebbins wrote:
Obioban wrote:Nor is the current (non legacy) preset any good-- most of the files end up somewhere between 540p and 555p-- hardly HD, imo! The ATV1 can play 720p, ATV legacy preset files without issue. I know, I have literally 6000+ of them!
The standard ATV preset is conservative because an unhacked ATV1 would choke on higher resolutions (or at least it used to). Try the ATV2 preset first as s55 recommended. But if that doesn't work for you, you can create your own preset with a higher max resolution easily enough. Just select the ATV preset, save the settings in a new preset, and in the preset save dialog, enable the max width option and set it to 1280.
The ATV2 preset creates files that choke the ATV1. Is there any difference between the files made by turning up the ATV1 preset to 1280 max width and the ATV2 preset? If not, seems like it won't work.

I've never had any performance issues with the ATV1 and files created by the ATV legacy preset. Most of my source material is 720p, so the only slight hiccup with it was that I'd have to manually decrease the resolution when converting a 1080p file.

To avoid the SD files becoming 720p issue, I'd just use the ATV non legacy preset for non HD files.

My ATV is hacked, but I don't have the crystal HD card because I don't like xbmc... and you can't make the card work with the ATV's native interface (or sapphire, which is my preferred browser).

I don't mind remaking the preset at all, I just don't really know what was done that made it work so well. In other words, the ATV legacy and ATV2 preset both made 720p files. The ATV2 files would completely kill the ATV, whereas the ATV legacy created files playing without issue. What created that void?
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

I'm curious as to why the old preset can not be imported into the new presets.

SC
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

If my memory is correct the atv1 does support 720p BUT only at 24fps and 5000kbps.

So if you change the atv1 preset to 1280 it should work as long as the above are not exceeded.
Obioban

Post by Obioban »

Ahhh.... looks like 24fps is the key difference that I've been missing!
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Smithcraft wrote:I'm curious as to why the old preset can not be imported into the new presets.

SC
Because it's crap and shouldn't be used? :P
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

So, would Dynaflashes settings be better for an ATV or ?

SC
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Probably. In any case, the AppleTV preset is much better than the AppleTV Legacy preset (though you do have to bump to 720p manually).