Re-ripping MPEG-4 from 720x400 to 320x240

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
RikPierce

Re-ripping MPEG-4 from 720x400 to 320x240

Post by RikPierce »

I dunno what happened. I got the entire season 5 of the TV show 24 from the library and ripped it for my iPod. Everything was fine except for one episode I musta skipped a step and now I have it ripped 720x400 which doesn't save to the ipod. I don't have the original disc now. How can I re-rip this file to 320x240. Probably easy, huh? Is this a dumb post? I'm a little afraid of screwing up the one copy I have.
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

If your only concern is iPod playback, try using iTunes to convert it - highlight, right-click, "Convert to iPod". It will convert to 640xXXX H.264 (after a very long and slow conversion), but it will play fine.

Rodney
John Meyer

Post by John Meyer »

just so everyone knows, another great option is media coder. search for it on google. it's a great free program (not as great as handbrake :lol: ). you can queue multiple videos, set your output resolution and biterate. I use it for encoding all my high-quality apple tv movies to ipod format and it works perfectly.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

Couldn't you also use StreamClip? It's also free.
John Meyer

Post by John Meyer »

yeah, i don't know too much about apple software (i'm guessing that's what streamclip is). media coder would be an option for windows users. i should have mentioned that. i always forget that most people on this forum are mac users.
John Meyer

Post by John Meyer »

spoke too soon - looks like streamclip is for windows also. i'll have to check that out. thanks for the heads-up on that one.
PuzZLeR
Bright Spark User

Post by PuzZLeR »

There is a ton of stuff for iPod conversion available now, even for file inputs as well as DvD source.

If this clip is to be watched only on the iPod, RikPierce can just simply encode the "errand clip" to MPEG-4 for the quick conversion instead. Then delete after viewing if he intends on keeping the higher quality "source" for archiving.