AppleTV v4.4 won't play Handbrake ripped files

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
JBTVNews

AppleTV v4.4 won't play Handbrake ripped files

Post by JBTVNews »

Hi all,

I updated my AppleTV 2 to v4.4 yesterday and suddenly couldn't play some of the files I could the night before!
On further investigation it turns out that it's ONLY files that have been ripped with Handbrake that won't play, all others are fine!
Could others with this update installed please check and see if you can still play your Handbrake encoded files and report back.
Many thanks,

JB
m234897

Re: AppleTV v4.4 won't play Handbrake ripped files

Post by m234897 »

Yes I find exactly the same thing Movies either Blu ray or DVD encoded with the Apple TV2 profile no longer present the 5.1 sound through apple TV2. iTunes content with a 5.1 surround track work fine eg TV show

I have also just updated to the new 4.4.2 no change

So obviously Apple Changed something in how it recognises surround sound tracks that is not included when you use the Apple TV2 preset in Handbrake. I hope to God this does not mean I have to recode all my films. Is it possibly an element of metadata that need to be added using something like Subler
Mach1_8

Post by Mach1_8 »

Same here. However, I was able to get the 5.1 track working by switching to the stereo track and back to the 5.1 track during playback...but what a pain that is. Of note, I was able to get the 5.1 track to play normally by unchecking the stereo track in Subler, but that renders the resulting file unusable on my iPad. I never should have updated from 4.3 :evil:
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

Select the ac3 track in Subler, and set the fallback to the aac one, it might help.
Mach1_8

Post by Mach1_8 »

I was unable to swap the order of the tracks in Subler. So, I did a test encode using the ATV2 preset, but put the AC3 track first and the stereo track second. This test file played back fine on the ATV (with DD 5.1) but my iPad didn't enjoy the same success. Any ideas?
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

Did you set the fallback of the ac3 track like I said?
locklin

Post by locklin »

Ritsuka wrote:Did you set the fallback of the ac3 track like I said?
Hi Ritsuka, how do you do that?
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

Open the file in Subler, clic on the ac3 track, and from the "fallback" menu select the track with the number of the aac one, then save the file.
Mach1_8

Post by Mach1_8 »

Ritsuka,

Thanks for the info! I was lost at first, but turns out my copy of Subler was pretty old. I set the fallback as instructed, but that did not appear to fix the issue. I'm curious if anyone else out there is seeing something similar or if they were able to get the fallback solution to yield results.
jbjoret
Enlightened

Post by jbjoret »

I have the same problem, until yesterday I used the workaround consisting in selecting another track and then get back to the AC3 track. Yesterday I tried something that seems to be working, I tried it with a few files now and it works for me, although I don't know why this sudden change.

-1- Open your file with Subler (recent version if possible)
-2- Make sure your AC3 track has alternate group
-3- Disable the AC3 track in the checkbox "enable"

Try this and let me know if it solves it for you too.
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

Hi,

Same thing happened to me. It is the appletv setting all settings to default during the upgrade. Under video and sound settings there are a setting for digital out. Change this from auto to on and it will work again. It did for both me and a friend of mine.

/Freddie
locklin

Post by locklin »

jbjoret wrote:I have the same problem, until yesterday I used the workaround consisting in selecting another track and then get back to the AC3 track. Yesterday I tried something that seems to be working, I tried it with a few files now and it works for me, although I don't know why this sudden change.

-1- Open your file with Subler (recent version if possible)
-2- Make sure your AC3 track has alternate group
-3- Disable the AC3 track in the checkbox "enable"

Try this and let me know if it solves it for you too.
This is exactly what I've been doing so far and it's working as desired...