Tivo (MPEG2) to AppleTV 2 question

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
lawdawg

Tivo (MPEG2) to AppleTV 2 question

Post by lawdawg »

Hey everyone, I've been happily using handbrake to convert DVDs for use on my Apple TV2, with outstanding results. I recently decided to drop DirecTV and bought a Tivo Premiere to record OTA HD. I am using kmttg to grab and decrypt recordings from the TiVo and would now like to convert them for use on the Apple TV. My usual handbrake profile will convert the mpg files to m4vs, and they look really nice, but a 1 hour 720p show is taking ~5 hours to complete.

I do not care about compressing the file size at all 4.57GB can stay 4.57 GB, I'm not going to keep these for archival purposes, I just want to be able to watch something I record upstairs on the TiVo downstairs on my AppleTV2 and have the quality nearly the same, or acceptable when viewed on a projector. Can someone recommend what settings I would use to accomplish this, or if handbrake is not the tool to accomplish this is there a better way to perform a fast, nearly lossless, MPG2 to M4V conversion?

Thanks,
thompson
Bright Spark User

Re: Tivo (MPEG2) to AppleTV 2 question

Post by thompson »

Did you even TRY the Apple TV 2 preset?
lawdawg

Post by lawdawg »

Of COURSE I did after using my slightly customized profile (based of the Apple TV 2 profile.) I also tried Classic, and 7 different variations of the Apple TV 2 profile (changing the constant quality between 20 and 51.) I only encoded the first 60 seconds so I could play around on the last 8 tests. While the stock Apple TV 2 profile returned a very acceptable looking product, it took around 4 minutes for that 60 seconds. Extrapolate that to a 60 minute TV show and your sitting at around 4 hours. Can't be sure that will hold though, when it does a full hour of varying scene changes, movement, etc. So I'm still looking at a very long encode. I guess I should have mentioned that, and avoided your wonderfully helpful reply since you don't have any useful experience to relay.

I was hoping someone would have experienced something like I'm trying to accomplish and provide actual advice, not just play jump on the newbie.
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

lawdawg, since you're not using a standard preset we'd need to know which version of Handbrake you are using and which settings you're encoding with. This would all be specified in an activity log which is why we're reluctant to give you any advice until we've seen it.

Moving to Devices.