Making a 4:3 Aspect Ratio DVD fill 32" Samsung Widescre

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
moorlandstokie

Making a 4:3 Aspect Ratio DVD fill 32" Samsung Widescre

Post by moorlandstokie »

All,

Another dumb noob question!.

I have all the Family Guy DVD's and I want to get them onto my AppleTV. This is quite simple, choose AppleTV pre-set and away you go!.

This works fine, apart from the fact it does not fill my screen leaving two big black gaps on either side of the presentation. This does not make for the best viewing experience, especially when im trying to show off the AppleTV to my friends!!!.

The DVD source input is 720x576 in 4:3.

Is there anything I can change to ensure then when I convert it appears in full screen on the TV?.

I know when I play on my home DVD player it fills the screen no probs, so im guessing something can be done!?.

As always your thoughts and comments are greatly appreciated!.

Many Thanks in Advance

Andy Jenkins.
hawkman
Veteran User

Post by hawkman »

That presumably means your DVD player is either horribly stretching it or chopping the top and bottom off, as Family Guy is 4:3 content right? The idea of decimating your content like that makes me shudder, but you could choose to do either of those when you're ripping... I don't know if the Apple TV gives you the option to do anything like that, I rather hope not.
moorlandstokie

Post by moorlandstokie »

Its a good point, will have to check, have to admit, I don't believe that it is, but I will check!.

So from what you are saying if its 4:3, its for 4:3 and you just get the blackbits either side?
realityking
Veteran User

Post by realityking »

Well you could crop off a part of the picture at the top and at the bottom.
hawkman
Veteran User

Post by hawkman »

Basically, yeah. Like watching widescreen content on a 4:3 tv, in reverse.
bwhaler

Post by bwhaler »

Can anyone answer the question?

There are some videos I don't mind the stretch for but would like it to fill the whole screen. (e.g. kid cartoons, etc.)

Thanks so much.
hawkman
Veteran User

Post by hawkman »

Dude, two people have answered the question.

Chop the top and bottom off, or stretch it. Both of these involve deselecting the "keep aspect ratio" checkbox in handbrake, if you've not worked that out.
BucksSaddler
Novice

Post by BucksSaddler »

I had this same issue when viewing early season X-Files in 4:3. After reading another post quite a while ago i now do the following on all my 4:3 material.
Open up my handbraked mp4 in Quicktime, show Movie Properties, select the H.264 video track and then Visual Settings. Deselect the Preserve Aspect Ratio option, and change the Scaled Size to 1280 x 720 pixels. Save the file.
Now when i view it on my widsecreen TV the whole screen is filled and it looks great.
Hope it helps
syklab

Post by syklab »

Did you play it thru AppleTV ? I done the same thing except that I am using MP4 instead H.264 for encoding to save time. It won't get copy to AppleTV via iTone but plays fine under QT. The original handbraked MP4 without changing the ratio using QT works fine in AppleTV but in 4:3 mode. Any idea ?

Thanks