Advice Required from all Apple TV & Video iPod Owners!

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
moorlandstokie

Advice Required from all Apple TV & Video iPod Owners!

Post by moorlandstokie »

All,

I need to seek your expert guidance. I got myself the 160GB AppleTV a couple of weeks ago and started to convert some of my movies using the excellent handbrake product with the default AppleTV setting.

I have to say works great!, however i'm sure you know whats coming next!, The problem is they won't play on my Video iPod! (due to resolution, quality settings etc). So here are some questions :-

1. What do you guys do?. do you do two rips of the same thing?, one for Apple TV one for Video iPod?, if so how do you manage that in iTunes?

2. Do you just sync to the AppleTV and not the iPod? and thus always go for the best resolution / quality etc.

3. Is there a setting which you could share which will allow me to watch on both?, e.g will allow me to play on iPod but will also look ok on AppleTV?

4. Are these stupid questions!!!???

Any feedback / advise would be greatly appreciated.

Andy J -> Noobie!. Handbrake user!.
hawkman
Veteran User

Post by hawkman »

As has been documented, the iPod is the limiting factor. Anything which plays on the iPod will play on ATV, but you won't be using the ATV's full abilities.

You will have to do two rips if you want movies to look their best through ATV.
moorlandstokie

Thanks

Post by moorlandstokie »

Ok Many Thanks for the feedback, thats what I thought.
Scarpad

Post by Scarpad »

Yeah I've been struggling with this as well, I'm hopeful the next gen of pod will open up the specs and allow them to play Apple TV Content. Untill then if yoo want them to play on both the Ipod setting 640x480 will be all you can do. I Have a mix, stuff I wand to look the best in Apple TV and some of my TV Shows that are iffy to start with, like All in the Family I do in Ipod Hi rez.

I've also considered doing an Apple TV version, and one strictly for the pod at 320x240. But then will I ever want to plug the Ipod into a tv and watch? Maybe once a year during vacation. Decisions are not easy.
Konstantin Prinz

Re: Advice Required from all Apple TV & Video iPod Owner

Post by Konstantin Prinz »

moorlandstokie wrote:3. Is there a setting which you could share which will allow me to watch on both?, e.g will allow me to play on iPod but will also look ok on AppleTV?
Anything running on a current iPod humiliates appleTV. Why did you buy that HDTV set then :)
moorlandstokie

Thanks

Post by moorlandstokie »

Yes, agreed I think I have made the choice of burning stuff for AppleTV then if I am on the train and want to watch something use itunes to burn down to ipod settings, then delete afterwards!....

Thanks for your comments greatly appreciated.