Forcing default audio stream (.m4v)

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Abulia

Forcing default audio stream (.m4v)

Post by Abulia »

Hello. Longtime user of Handbrake and have very nice settings that I've been using for encodes for the last bit. My files are designed for playback on my ATV2 and iPad, based off the High Profile preset.

Unfortunately I've just caught a mistake after a couple hundred encodes and finishing my Blu-ray library: I inadvertently set the AC-3/5.1 track as the first audio track in my m4v output file. The video plays fine on the ATV but will refuse to play on the iPad (but will sync).

Going into iTunes and forcibly selecting the AAC stereo track and re-syncing allows the iPad to play back fine. I don't believe this setting will stick.

Is there a way (via MKVtools perhaps?) to "tag" the AAC track as the default audio track? For obvious reasons I don't want to re-encode and tag my library again.

Many thanks!
Deleted User 11865

Re: Forcing default audio stream (.m4v)

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Maybe Subler can re-order the audio tracks (I'm not sure).
Abulia

Post by Abulia »

Humm. Subler is a good idea. I opened up an affected file and the Surround track is "enabled" and the AAC track is not. Checked a known good file that predates my bad settings and the AAC track is selected as "enabled" and the Surround is not.

I'll give it a whirl and see if it works.
Abulia

Post by Abulia »

Nope. No go with "enabling" and unchecking the audio tracks within Subler. (Good idea!)

I did run across "mp4box" which lets you demux and mux mp4 containers. It's all CLI and it'd be quite an undertaking to extract and remux the audio tracks in a hundred encodes.

Hoping there's some tool to just change the audio track ID and order.

[Edit] Wait. Found a new way to do it in Subler. File / New, creates a new containers. Drop old m4v onto new, select which to add to container, drag-and-drop order. Then save. Testing now...

[Edit2] Appears to have worked! I'll do a few more tests to make sure and report back my findings. Need to test 5.1 on ATV to ensure there were no issues.