0.9.5 will Apple TV preset work on iPhone 4 and PS3 too?

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
MrMister111
Enlightened

0.9.5 will Apple TV preset work on iPhone 4 and PS3 too?

Post by MrMister111 »

HB on Mac 0.9.5 will the Apple TV (1G) preset work on iPhone 4 and PS3 too?

I hope to get an iPad this year, probably wait for the new one whenever it comes, but also like one file for all formats as such

cheers
Deleted User 11865

Re: 0.9.5 will Apple TV preset work on iPhone 4 and PS3 too?

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

The AppleTV preset will definitely work on an iPad, and AFAIK should work fine on a PS3 too.
MrMister111
Enlightened

Post by MrMister111 »

cheers, Apple TV (1G) preset it is then!

Oh 1 other question, as my PS3 is connected to my 5.1, how do I include 5.1 sound on it as well?

Is v0.9.5 now much better (if thats the right word), now than 0.9.5 was? Is it faster encoding on the same system over 0.9.4? Better results? I'm not a video/encoder expert, reason I think HB is great with its presets.

cheers
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

Based on the High Profile preset, early benchmarks suggest that 0.9.5 is approximately 5% faster then the version it replaces.
Deleted User 11865

You'll need to select the AC3 track manually on the PS3. That should be it (no need to alter the preset's settings).
MrMister111
Enlightened

Post by MrMister111 »

Rodeo wrote:You'll need to select the AC3 track manually on the PS3. That should be it (no need to alter the preset's settings).
thanks, so the actual preset has the 5.1 sound track and stereo soundtrack already in to be encoded? All I have to do is manually select the 5.1 (AC3) audio selection when watching the actual film on the PS3?

thanks
Deleted User 11865

Yes.
ekdor

Post by ekdor »

I would like to point out (for me anyway) when encoding (on Mac OS X version) I have to change the file extension m4v to mp4 to eliminate bad/corrupt file messages on the PS3. I haven't tested this with the 0.9.5 yet. You can test if you have this issue by playing a movie with the m4v extension on the PS3 using the XMB. Once it's playing try rewinding. This is typically where the error occurs. Once you go back to the XMB the file name will be replaced with the corrupt file message and a PS3 error icon. The file isn't actually corrupted), it will play again if you try. You just have to be real careful not to rewind.

For anyone who has this issue with a mass of movie content that is nicely sorted into albums (which would be a pain to resort once replacement copies are copied to the PS3), there is an easy way to fix this. I figured this out when I needed to correct a very large number of file extensions.
  • 1. Copy the effected files to an external HDD. Leave the originals untouched on the PS3. (To save hassle I just copied the entire movie content to a HDD in one hit. Took longer because of all the files I didn't need to correct. But I was able to go to bed.

2. Connect HDD to a computer. (I used a Mac.)

3. Change extensions of all the m4v's to mp4. I used an app called GraphicConverter for this step. It has a multiple file search and replace renaming function. This allowed me to simply select the HDD with that app, tell it to find all instances of .m4v and replace with .mp4 and wait.

3.5 I personally added a step here to save time in the remaining process but it's not necessary. I used the finder search to remove all the files I didn't need to correct the extension for, from the HDD, because I didn't need to do anything with them.

4. Connect the HDD to the PS3.

5. Copy the files back. If you left the original files in place you can copy all the files at once. The PS3 will recognise the file names as the same and ask if you wish to replace the original files. Choose yes. The PS3 then replaces the m4v files with the mp4 files and keeps the album structure intact.
Unless you changed any other part of the file name or added new content that should be all there is to it. Hope this is of some help. Cheers,. 8)

NOTE: This information is accurate of the date of this posting.
Deleted User 11865

For those who don't have Graphic Converter. Open Terminal:

Code: Select all

cd <drop enclosing folder (from Finder) here>
replace <drop enclosing folder (from Finder) here> by the folder containing the files to rename (i.e. only type cd hit the spacebar then drop the folder)

Code: Select all

for i in *.m4v; do mv "$i" "${i/.m4v}".mp4; done
MrMister111
Enlightened

Post by MrMister111 »

thanks people. So to summarise. Apple TV 1G preset, for all my devices is fine. Use *.mp4 extensions, and 5.1 is encoded with Apple TV 1G preset and then select the audio source on PS3.

thanks so much, I'm a basic user but love HB for presets and compatibility.

On another few notes...

1) Is there much difference in quality/size/resolution between Apple TV 1G and 2G preset?
2) What meta tagger do people use on a Mac for tagging movie and TV shows? they look great when tagged with art, rating, description etc on Apple TV

cheers
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

If one of your devices is the first generation Apple TV then DO NOT use the AppleTV 2 preset. This preset is tuned for the second generation ATV and video encoded with it will not work on the ATV1.

I use Subler to tag movies and add artwork, post encode.
MrMister111
Enlightened

Post by MrMister111 »

I cant get used to Subler to be honest tried it, but just cant "get it", I've tried iDentify2, but get a few crashes with it, MetaX seems to be discontinued - development wise, anyway. Any others?

Will stick to Apple TV 1G preset, as I want it to play on iPhone 4 and iPod touch 4G anyway

cheers
jamiemlaw
Veteran User

Post by jamiemlaw »

MrMister111 wrote:2) What meta tagger do people use on a Mac for tagging movie and TV shows?
iTunes.
Deleted User 11865

MrMister111 wrote:Will stick to Apple TV 1G preset, as I want it to play on iPhone 4 and iPod touch 4G anyway
The AppleTV 2 preset will work fine with these devices. The weak device here is the 1st generation AppleTV.
MrMister111
Enlightened

Post by MrMister111 »

jamiemlaw wrote:
MrMister111 wrote:2) What meta tagger do people use on a Mac for tagging movie and TV shows?
iTunes.
This doesnt embed the tags in the actual file though,only for iTunes, iDevices. If I want to play on PS3 embedded shows the artwork etc I believe

Rodeo wrote:
MrMister111 wrote:Will stick to Apple TV 1G preset, as I want it to play on iPhone 4 and iPod touch 4G anyway
The AppleTV 2 preset will work fine with these devices. The weak device here is the 1st generation AppleTV.
Yes but my Apple TV 1G wont work if I use the aTV 2G preset.