Encoding for A4 devices (iPad, iPhone 4, tv 2)

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
henrikhoe

Re: Encoding for A4 devices (iPad, iPhone 4, tv 2)

Post by henrikhoe »

I just read that weightp added blockiness to the apple tv, maybe that was the old generation though. Therefor i have it to weightp=0

Do i get more benefit on having the nightly builds btw?

im encoding due date know, cause at rf 22, it turned out a 1.2gb file with 1400 bitrate, now with rf 19, file is still 1.7gb, and not super high bitrate. weird.

Maybe it has to do with the source only beeing a 6.5gb 1080p file
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

The weightp incompatibility doesn't affect iOS devices.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

To be clear ... the ATV2 is an ios device, the ATV1 is not (though there is no discernible difference to the use in their interface).

So, for atv 2 go ahead and use weightp. Don't even think about it if using an atv1.
thetechhimself

Post by thetechhimself »

I have a frame ref and b frame question for the iPhone 4, does it have a limit as to how many it can support for decode? I'm looking to use 16 frame refs and either 8 or 16 bframes. Are we talking any potential deal breaker here before I go and have my computer chomp all night?

Also, battery life perspective, do either affect decode performance with any significance or is it a breeze for the a4 chip?

Heck while I'm asking, rc-lookahead, what would you say is the maximum benefit you can get, from what I've read, 60-100 is good, any thoughts?

Finally merange, is there a recommended setting for DVDs and for Blurays (example 24 or 32)? I'm looking for encode efficiency, I don't care too much about encode times, so yes I'm the weirdo that will use umh or tesa depending if I'm doing Star Trek or Up and just will cause I can. I'm looking to rip a movie once, do it right, and have it look good and not suck up any space not needed on my new shiny iPhone, but not kill the battery either watching it.

Thanks guys
cap2587

Post by cap2587 »

I have been looking for a post this thorough for quite some time. In reading all 8 pages of posts I really got a better understanding of using Handbrake on some different presets. However, I still feel a little confused on what will work best. I am sure that some some of it is personal preference. I am looking for one setting in Handbrake that will work with mp4 in Apple TV and Ipad. I have two different file types to convert and wondered if I should use a different setting for regular VOB file (DVD) vs m2TS (HD) files.

When using Apple Preset 2 it for Harry Potter (2 hrs, 26 min) the setting was 720 * 368, Original file was 4.88 GB and after conversion to 800 MB. This seems quite a bit smaller than the 1.5 GB file I was getting when using Apple Preset of Ipad Imported SD, 640 *480, 24 F.P.Sec, Average bitrate 5000 kbps. I noticed the Apple TV 2 preset does not use 2 pass encoding and I was wondering why? Do I need to set an average bitrate or just use the RF setting (19-21 DVD, 21-23 HD)?

I have also converted an m2ts file (HD) to an mp4 using Apple Ipad 720 p preset, 1280* 720, H.264, 2 pass encoding, same as source framerate, average bitrate 4000 kbps
The file size with this setting comes out pretty large 3.5-4 GB.
When I used Apple TV 2 Preset on the above m2ts file it only came out to 1 GB. That is a big difference in size.

I am not using surround sound for the audio on the Apple TV. Therefore I went with AAC, Stereo, Samplerate 48, Bitrate 160

I am basically looking for the best quality I can get, to have the movie cover as much screen as possible on the Ipad/Apple TV2 and to try and use the one setting for both. I am hoping I have not confused everyone and I can get some good advice back. Thanks
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

You're making things much more difficult than you need to. If you need a single encode for both the iPad and ATV2, simply use the Apple TV 2 preset (minus the AC3 passthrough track if you're sure you'll never need it) and the RF ranges you mentioned.

A 2-pass 5 Mbps encode of an SD source is a gratuitous wastes of space. Even a 2-pass 4 Mbps encode of a 720p source may be excessive... this is why we use CRF encoding - it allows you to target a specific quality rather than an arbitrary average bitrate. For the majority of applications, CRF encoding is faster, smaller and better quality.

Do not crop your sources in Handbrake to "fill the screen" on the ATV2 or iPad. Aside from it being impossible (16:9 display for ATV2 vs. 4:3 display for iPad), cropping is destructive and non-reversible. Instead, look to the zoom options on each device.
cap2587

Post by cap2587 »

Thanks for the precise response to my overly complicated post. This is what I am going with from this point forwards until someone advises me to try another option.

Apple TV/Ipad : Apple TV 2 Preset. For a regular DVD file (VOB) - Video Width 1280, Anomorphic (Loose), H.264, 29.97 FPS, PFR checked, RF 20, Stereo, AAC, 48 Samplerate, 160 Bitrate.

For HD content I am going with exactly the same settings, except moving the RF to 22.

My DVD (Vob File) is usually around 4.8 GB, and the typical m2ts file is around 30 GB. I am going to do a few encodes with the above settings and will let you know. What do you think the files size should roughly come to for my DVD File and HD file? Does that depend on the length of the movie? Is the RF # the main things that effects what size the end file will be? I'm assuming the encode for the HD file will be much longer. Should I see a definite difference in quality b/w my DVD and HD file that I am playing through the Ipad/Apple TV 2. Can I add an additional 2nd Audio track to the encode in case I ever decide to watch the movie on a surround sound system and still be able to watch through my Ipad without losing Audio. What is the standard Audio setting for DTS 5.1 Audio through a receiver. I really appreciate any additional information and hope this post is a little clearer and easy to follow. Thanks
Adrian Lewer

Post by Adrian Lewer »

Hi Everyone, I am hoping that someone out there in computer land can help me. I have a basic understanding of computers only through trial and error (a lot of error I might add), I have a iMac 27 inch (new only 6 months old), Iphone 4,Iphone 3GS (its my guinea pig phone) Apple iPad (the first one) Apple TV (the little black box one ATV24 I think)

I have a heap of mp4 files on my computer of which I have ripped from my discs and some of my fathers discs. They are arranged in iTunes nicely with covers ECT, I also have a few iTunes movies.
My iTunes movies work on everything by going into my (either iPad or iPhone) side bar in iTunes and adding to the iPhone or iPad and they work, same with the Apple TV I just turn on the plasma TV and turn on the Apple TV go into my iTunes Library and pick the movie and watch.

My Problem is the following,

All Videos I have either iTunes bought or DVD Ripped to MP4 via iMedia then imported into iTunes work with my Apple TV which is cool. ( I made this happen and I thought I was a genius)
All Videos bought from iTunes work on everything iPad,iPhone,Apple TV,Computer ECT
Videos Ripped from DVD via iMedia Converter Work on Apple TV,Computer but don't work (well they work but have no sound) on my iPad or iPhone, They don't work on my 3GS but I expect this as some of them are HD and the 3GS does not support this from what I can gather.

I have been playing with Handbrake for the last 3 days playing with sound AAC (CoreAudio) ECT with no Avail. I want to be able to make the MP4 file have the 2 ch stereo for iPad and iPhone but also have the file in there for 6 ch so I get surround when I play on the iMac or Apple TV

As I have said I have just spend days playing with the settings to no Avail, I have tried using the original disc and adding to source then altering audio, Tried Pulling the MP4 file out of iTunes and making the source and altering audio but I can not get it to work.

Can someone please help me out with a straight forward laymen approach, Remember I only know little about doing this kind of thing.
Adrian Lewer

Post by Adrian Lewer »

And sorry I must add I have been through here and tried what some people have explained to others but I just can make it work for me.
Also I am only ripping in 720x448 which I think is low for a DVD can I some how get 1280x720 ? (Tried it in iMedia Converter)
Northy
Enlightened

Post by Northy »

Sorry for bumping an old thread but does video encoded with the TV 2 Preset also work on iPad and iPhone 4 and above?

Cheers.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Yes.