Pirates Caribbean 2.04GB - Is that too large? + Setting Help

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
helixomnimedia

Pirates Caribbean 2.04GB - Is that too large? + Setting Help

Post by helixomnimedia »

Hello,

Yesterday I thought I'd start to rip some DVDs to iTunes so I can watch them on my AppleTV since I now have a lot of spare time (just graduated uni)...

Anyway I started with Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl - it took 13 hours to do (i really need to get a MacBook Pro), the finished ripped movie is 2.04GB is that too large?
I looked at the information for the movie on the iTunes Music Store and there is a clear difference.

Ripped Version: Size: 2.04GB Runtime: 2.17.18

iTunes MS Version: Size: 1.64GB Runtime: 2.23.10

I used the following Handbrake Settings, but I'm not sure if they are right.
Handbrake Settings
File Format: MP4 file
Codecs: AVC/H.264 Video/AAC Audio
Create Chapter Marks: Ticked
Average Bitrate: 2000
Picture Setting Input: 720x576
Picture Setting Output: 640x368

I don't know if the settings above are right or not. I'd like good quality but not a large file size - if that's possible.
Does anyone know what settings Apple use for their movies?

Thanks for any information and help, its really appreciated.
Magnus

Post by Magnus »

with a higher bitrate the movie will be bigger.
I dont know the bitrate the others used, but i guess less than 2000 (something like 1500 for the filesize)...
May you can see it by klicking on properties, if you have the other version too...
TheBum
Novice

Post by TheBum »

2.04GB sounds about in the right ballpark. I encode mine at 2500 kbps and a 2-hour movie is typically around 2.2GB.

I would suggest using the built-in presets, although if you want to decrease the bitrate to 2000 you probably won't see too much of a degradation.