best settings for iPhone and HDTV

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
jaydez

best settings for iPhone and HDTV

Post by jaydez »

Hey, new user...

I want to start simplifying my rips. I want to be able to watch them on my iPhone and on my HDTV via iTV when it it released. Is there a good setting to use that will look good on both screens? I know the iphone setting is too low res for an HDTV and a normal rip would be huge and take up too much room on an iPhone. Is there a happy medium?

Thanks
Jay
TedJ
Veteran User

Re: best settings for iPhone and HDTV

Post by TedJ »

Considering the iTV is no more than a rumour at the moment, no one knows what the capabilities or restrictions are encoding for it. That being said, large frame size and small file size tend to be mutually exclusive, especially if you're encoding baseline profile H.264 as required by older iPhones.

Moving to Devices.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

No.
jamiemlaw
Veteran User

Post by jamiemlaw »

You could make a dual HD/SD video, like Apple offers on iTunes, so the HD version plays on the TV and the SD version on the iPhone, but they only show up as one item in your iTunes library.
louwrentius

Post by louwrentius »

The new iPhone 4 is able to playback 720p, probably the same as the unreleased new iTV. The file size will be bigger than stricly required, but it should play on iPhone, iPad and iTV.