max 960x540 HD resolution for AppleTV

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
discless
Enlightened

max 960x540 HD resolution for AppleTV

Post by discless »

In comments to his recent review of El Gato's Turbo.264HD software only product, the author from MacWorld suggests that Handbrake will only transcode up to 960x540 even if the frame rate is 24fps (and hence the AppleTV will support 1280x720). He used a sample episode of Glee at 24fps for some of his comparisons.

Is this true? Does Handbrake not allow for 1280x720 at 24fps and downsizes to 960x540? Thanks...

http://www.macworld.com/reviews/product ... xpand=true
jamiemlaw
Veteran User

Re: max 960x540 HD resolution for AppleTV

Post by jamiemlaw »

If you just select the AppleTV preset and hit Go, then your output will be constrained to 960x540. I think it's just a safety measure, since there's no way, yet, to have a preset that conditionally sets the dimensions based on the frame rate.

But there's nothing to stop you from manually altering the dimensions before starting the encode.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

jamiemlaw wrote:If you just select the AppleTV preset and hit Go, then your output will be constrained to 960x540. I think it's just a safety measure, since there's no way, yet, to have a preset that conditionally sets the dimensions based on the frame rate.

But there's nothing to stop you from manually altering the dimensions before starting the encode.
Completely accurate. There is nothing prohibiting you from using 720p. The preset plays to the lowest common denominator 540p at 29.976 fps for safety for the reasons outlined accurately.
discless
Enlightened

Post by discless »

Great replies; thank you!
igirl

Post by igirl »

The article referenced refers to Video Monkey, but that looks like a dead project!

Anyway, I've been reading up and searching for an optimum way to batch convert 100s of video_ts folders to Apple TV compatible playback (m4v-h264) and it seems the Apple TV preset is probably the best path for least amount of difficulty and good outcome - even on a 1080p 60"screen. I realise that these conversions may be too large for some handheld devices - but that's not on my wish list right now. I might change my needs once GoogleTV and iTV are out. -but the primary goal right now is to reduce files down to more manageable sizes while keeping quality up.