Getting movies OFF Apple TV

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
sketterman

Getting movies OFF Apple TV

Post by sketterman »

Hi. Somehow all my ripped movies that took weeks to do are gone from my Lacie.....I don't even know how or why they are but they are gone!!!! The movies, however, are still in my AppleTV.......does anyone anywhere know of a way to get them FROM AppleTV back to my Mac.....this will save me hours and hours of re-ripping......
fullerflyer
Novice

Re: Getting movies OFF Apple TV

Post by fullerflyer »

sketterman wrote:Hi. Somehow all my ripped movies that took weeks to do are gone from my Lacie.....I don't even know how or why they are but they are gone!!!! The movies, however, are still in my AppleTV.......does anyone anywhere know of a way to get them FROM AppleTV back to my Mac.....this will save me hours and hours of re-ripping......
...that will be a Mac issue, much like trying to get data off of an iPod. I've had help from Apple in the past transferring all of my music from my iPod to a new computer. The iPod has to be recognized as a storage device by the computer and there were a series of complicated steps that I was taken through by the Apple Care representative. I'm assuming it will be similar with your Apple TV...

I'd suggest calling Apple or searching around on the rest of the web. This isn't anything related to HB or that someone on this forum will know, necessarily.

Best of luck!
TheBum
Novice

Post by TheBum »

Assuming you have a Mac or some PC software that enables reading of Mac-formatted disks (Dave or similar), you could always remove the drive from the Apple TV, connect it to your computer via an external USB or Firewire case, and then copy the files off the mounted volume.
sidechain

Post by sidechain »

If you have SSH enabled on ATV you can pull files off ATV with FUGU (and put them on)
I am using the ATFiles hack it works great (bye bye iTunes)