Long rip time

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
tompow99

Long rip time

Post by tompow99 »

I just downloaded the 0.8.5b1 version yesterday to my iMac G5 and immediatedly put it to use. I set the presets to Apple TV and inserted the movie "Die Another Day". That was about 20 hours ago and the program is still plugging away saying that it has another 5 hours and 37 minutes to completion. Is this normal ?
loyalty_anchored
Bright Spark User

Post by loyalty_anchored »

did you allow for your rip to complete? if so, have you played it back? if so does the audio drop at any point in the movie? if so, check out the huge thread on audio drops.

if not, lets look into it further :-)
cbud
Bright Spark User

Post by cbud »

Yes it is very normal. There is a G5 optimized version floating around (search for it) that has updated x264 code and will decrease your encoding time substantially.

I use a G5 iMac as well, rip always with MTR full disc mode, and have yet to experience audio drop.
baggss

Post by baggss »

At this point, from what I can tell, no one has experienced the Audio Drop issue on a PPC Mac. Anyone know something different?
tompow99

Post by tompow99 »

I finished my first rip. It took 23 hours but it is fine. I checked the movie throughout and the audio and video quality are just fine. The audio didn't drop out.
loyalty_anchored
Bright Spark User

Post by loyalty_anchored »

tompow99 wrote:I finished my first rip. It took 23 hours but it is fine. I checked the movie throughout and the audio and video quality are just fine. The audio didn't drop out.
sounds like you need the G5 optimized version of the app... like cbud said :-)
demeatloaf

Post by demeatloaf »

I am very confused as to why the newest version of Handbreak takes so much longer to rip. I like it a lot more since it has the preset iPod setting, but over 2 hours to rip an episode of a TV show is absurd.
realityking
Veteran User

Post by realityking »

this is probably because you use the default preset which is optimized quality, not speed.