Large file size option and device compatibility

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
speedlimiter

Large file size option and device compatibility

Post by speedlimiter »

In the popup which appears over the "large file size" option, HB warns to use it on other devices than aTV. I'm archiving my files in M4V format and use the aTV preset with no changes. There is some self created content, that exceeds the 4GB limit, but i want the files to be compatible with my iMac, iPhone 3Gs and iPad, aTV and a Xtreamer (xtreamer.net). Is there a device (also apart from my devices) that can't actually handle these 64-bit files?
SuperEricL

Re: Large file size option and device compatibility

Post by SuperEricL »

The "large file size" option can be used with your iMac, iPhone 3Gs, and iPad. I'm not completely sure about the Xtreamer though as I haven't looked into it before.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

speedlimiter wrote:There is some self created content, that exceeds the 4GB limit, but i want the files to be compatible with my iMac, iPhone 3Gs and iPad, aTV and a Xtreamer (xtreamer.net). Is there a device (also apart from my devices) that can't actually handle these 64-bit files?
The PS3 and 5GiPod come to mind. I don't know about the psp and the xbox.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

It's no longer a problem on the PS3 (though there may be an issue when seeking) - 64-bit MP4 files will play.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Rodeo wrote:It's no longer a problem on the PS3 (though there may be an issue when seeking) - 64-bit MP4 files will play.
Good to know. As usual I stand corrected. ;) We have been talking about making 64 bit mp4's default since most decent current generation playback devices seem to support it. I would agree but of course just my .02
phoenixdown

Post by phoenixdown »

If the mp4 file is less than 4 gigs, I don't think you need to flag it with the large file size option
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

Quite correct. The problem is you need to guess whether or not your encode will exceed 4GB prior to beginning encoding, hence dynaflash's suggestion that 64 bit mp4 may become the default.