Quick question about Apple TV resolution

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
alehel
Experienced

Quick question about Apple TV resolution

Post by alehel »

Now I know that the Apple TV allows for 720p/25fps. What I was wondering though is how anamorphic affects this. If the file is 1280x720 but anamorphic makes it larger, will it still play on the Apple TV seeing as the actual resolution is within the limits, or does this limitation apply to the resolution AFTER anamorphic has stretched the picture?

Also on a guide to HD conversions with Handbrake for AppleTV on macrumors site (I can find a link if necesarry) it said to turn off anamorphic, check the "keep aspect ratio" box and then set it at 720p. Is there a reason they chose not to use anamorphic?
Deleted User 11865

Re: Quick question about Apple TV resolution

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

The storage resolution (before the PAR is applied) is all that matters for compatibility because that's the actual resolution of the file.
alehel
Experienced

Post by alehel »

So for best results I could use custom anamoprhic to set the output as 1280x720 and then let the anamorphic sort out the aspect ratio by using the "keep aspect ratio" button, right?
Deleted User 11865

alehel wrote:So for best results I could use custom anamoprhic to set the output as 1280x720 and then let the anamorphic sort out the aspect ratio by using the "keep aspect ratio" button, right?
Right. Though I prefer to double check the calculated display width, it can be slightly wrong in some circumstances.

Also, Custom anamorphic does not work with presets (at least in the MacGUI) so it's always a somewhat manual process.
alehel
Experienced

Post by alehel »

Thanks for the advice. Incidently, is there a guide to calculating this? I had a look in the wiki but could not see anything. Also, is this a bug in Handbrake or is it due to other things? Would be nice if that could be fixed if it is a bug, as I now plan on using this method for all my films that have the right framerate.
Deleted User 11865

Take the source's storage dimensions after cropping, apply the source PAR (pixel aspect ratio) to the width (gives you the display width), then divide the display width by the height: that gives you the DAR (display aspect ratio).

Then, in Custom, no matter what storage dimensions you set, the display width should always be storage height * DAR. Most of the time it gets set to the correct value with "Keep Aspect Ratio" checked, but sometimes not.
Ken

Post by Ken »

I was trying to follow the advice on this thread to "use custom anamoprhic to set the output as 1280x720 and then let the anamorphic sort out the aspect ratio".

Have I done this correctly for display via Apple TV 1.0 to my 1080p display?