Remux MKV to iTunes for iPad

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Ninnibon

Remux MKV to iTunes for iPad

Post by Ninnibon »

This is my first post, and let me say that I am very grateful for Handbrake. I use it on both my Macbook Pro and a fast WinXP home build. I am very impressed with the ease of use and results, after years of using other inferior tools.

I'm looking suggestions for the following scenario. I have been using the High Proile mkv setting, for the most flexibility and have been very happy with the resules. I also recently upgraded my PS3-centered Home Theater to 5.1, and mkv seems to have the most flexibility. I use mkv2vob (which also rocks!) to remux the mkv's for beautiful 5.1 sound on the PS3. The remuxing process is very fast.

I preordered an iPad, and have been contemplating a workflow, to minimize keeping duplicate sets of files on harddrives. Does anyone know of any other tools that will remux my Handbrake encoded 5.1 mkv's to an iPad friendly format. I understand that the noone really knows what will be iPad-friendly until it comes out (I have read the other iPad-related posts....), but assume for the moment that an iTunes m4v will be acceptable.

I really would like to keep the 5.1 DTS/AC3 mkv's as the main format for remuxing to the PS3 and/or iPad/iPhone/iPod/iTunes.

Suggestions?

Thanks to everyone for all of the helpful info on this forum!
Rodeo
HandBrake Team

Re: Remux MKV to iTunes for iPad

Post by Rodeo »

Ninnibon wrote:I really would like to keep the 5.1 DTS/AC3 mkv's as the main format for remuxing to the PS3 and/or iPad/iPhone/iPod/iTunes.
You will need to include an AAC track as well in your encodes, since the iPad doesn't support either DTS or AC3.

For remuxing MKV to MP4, Subler can do it (on Mac). Other Mac alternatives include QT 7 Pro + Perian (slower, but will allow you to transcode DTS or AC3 to AAC if you need to) and MPEG Streamclip (not tested).
Ninnibon

Post by Ninnibon »

For some reason, QT 7 Pro is not allowing me to select "Pass through" during export. The option is grayed out. I will give Subler a try though.

Thanks!
rcrh

Post by rcrh »

Rodeo wrote:
Ninnibon wrote:I really would like to keep the 5.1 DTS/AC3 mkv's as the main format for remuxing to the PS3 and/or iPad/iPhone/iPod/iTunes.
You will need to include an AAC track as well in your encodes, since the iPad doesn't support either DTS or AC3.

For remuxing MKV to MP4, Subler can do it (on Mac). Other Mac alternatives include QT 7 Pro + Perian (slower, but will allow you to transcode DTS or AC3 to AAC if you need to) and MPEG Streamclip (not tested).
Any suggestions for an alternative to Subler for those of us stuck with a PC?

thx.
tlindgren
Bright Spark User

Post by tlindgren »

rcrh wrote:Any suggestions for an alternative to Subler for those of us stuck with a PC?
MP4Box is a command-line tool to mux and process MP4 files.
Recent versions of the Yamb frontend to MP4Box handles Matroska files as input (if you download the full kit and install all parts) and should do the trick here. No audio transcoding capability, but then Subler doesn't have that either. You want Yamb 2.1.0.0 beta2 for this.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/mp4box
http://yamb.unite-video.com/download.html