AppleTV 3.02

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Tonnemanski

AppleTV 3.02

Post by Tonnemanski »

Anyone having experience with the new AppleTV 3.02 software yet? Does it impose a problem with current pre defined Handbrake rip settings?
dynaflash
Veteran User

Re: AppleTV 3.02

Post by dynaflash »

I have been using it since last night. no apparent issues at all that I can see.
Scarpad

Post by Scarpad »

Well here's one thing I noticed Post 3.02. I had converted a Blu Ray over to MKV and that MKV over to 720p using the Apple TV Preset. I was tired and forgot to set the FPS to 24. Now prior to 3.02 the file would've stuttered all over the place. But I played it last night and except for 1 10 second stutter (Which made me look at the files fps to begin with) it played ok. I will still Hard set the FPS to 24, but at least if I forget the file won't be a stuttering mess. What about the weighted frame issues I wonder if that has been resolved.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Scarpad wrote:What about the weighted frame issues I wonder if that has been resolved.
It has not.
oldmicah

Post by oldmicah »

This may be the 'weighted frame' issue, but I haven't found a simple explanation of what it is in the forums.

I've ripped the last 2 Veronica Mars episodes from season 3 to the stock 'iPhone and iPod' presets and am streaming them to the AppleTV. (vers 3.02 over ethernet from itunes 9.02 on 10.6.2). I'm using the latest handbrake (Version 0.9.4 i386 (2009112300) and VLC.

Occasionally (seems to be dark scenes following a transition), I'm seeing a bad red shift in the content and it is extremely blocky for a time. (sometimes 2-3 seconds, sometimes longer (10 secs?)) Can I fix this by re-ripping in a different way, or do I need to wait for an AppleTV update? (he asks nervously, considering the large library of already ripped stuff :)

I'll be happy to grab some pictures of the screen or data if this is a new issue.

many thanks!
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

oldmicah, you should:

1) open your own topic;

2) provide the encode logs for the episodes in question;

3) screenshots would help, provided we have the corresponding log(s) too.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

oldmicah wrote:I've ripped the last 2 Veronica Mars episodes from season 3 to the stock 'iPhone and iPod' presets and am streaming them to the AppleTV. (vers 3.02 over ethernet from itunes 9.02 on 10.6.2). I'm using the latest handbrake (Version 0.9.4 i386 (2009112300) and VLC.

Occasionally (seems to be dark scenes following a transition), I'm seeing a bad red shift in the content and it is extremely blocky for a time. (sometimes 2-3 seconds, sometimes longer (10 secs?)) Can I fix this by re-ripping in a different way, or do I need to wait for an AppleTV update?
1) Add weightp=0 in the advanced x264 options.

2) The iPhone preset is pretty low quality for playback on TV.
Deleted User 11865

mduell wrote:
oldmicah wrote:I've ripped the last 2 Veronica Mars episodes from season 3 to the stock 'iPhone and iPod' presets and am streaming them to the AppleTV. (vers 3.02 over ethernet from itunes 9.02 on 10.6.2). I'm using the latest handbrake (Version 0.9.4 i386 (2009112300) and VLC.

Occasionally (seems to be dark scenes following a transition), I'm seeing a bad red shift in the content and it is extremely blocky for a time. (sometimes 2-3 seconds, sometimes longer (10 secs?)) Can I fix this by re-ripping in a different way, or do I need to wait for an AppleTV update?
1) Add weightp=0 in the advanced x264 options.

2) The iPhone preset is pretty low quality for playback on TV.
The bullt-in "iPhone & iPod Touch" preset doesn't use weightp - so that can't be it. We really need to see a log.
oldmicah

Post by oldmicah »

Hello Rodeo,

Thanks for letting me know it's not a weighted frame issue. I'll grab a picture of the playback error and upload the logs to a new issue as suggested.

thanks!
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Rodeo wrote:The bullt-in "iPhone & iPod Touch" preset doesn't use weightp - so that can't be it. We really need to see a log.
Except he isn't using the iPhone preset, he's using Normal.
Deleted User 11865

mduell wrote:
Rodeo wrote:The bullt-in "iPhone & iPod Touch" preset doesn't use weightp - so that can't be it. We really need to see a log.
Except he isn't using the iPhone preset, he's using Normal.
Hence my request for a log and separate topic. This topic is going nowhere, so locking.