Anamorphic Mode for 4:3 vids?

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Scarpad

Anamorphic Mode for 4:3 vids?

Post by Scarpad »

Would you only use this moe on Widescreen Movies or would you also use it for 4:3 Material?
deckeda
Enlightened

Post by deckeda »

4:3 content isn't anamorphically stored, so no --- you would NOT use HB's anamorphic option for that. The anamorphic process is similar to an "encode/decode" sort of process; you don't want one half of the equation to occur without the other.

This is a good primer: http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/ ... html#demos

Also read the two blue links that give examples of what's happening with anamorphically stored content.
Leo
Bright Spark User

Post by Leo »

4:3 content isn't anamorphically stored, so no --- you would NOT use HB's anamorphic option for that
Uh, yeah it is anamorphic! It's stored at a PAR of 15/16 for PAL (720x576 as opposed to 768x576 (or 720x540) if it weren't anamorphic), i.e. slightly in the same direction as widescreen anamorphic, and PAR 9/8 for NTSC (720x480 instead of 640x480 or 720x540).

I think content on DVDs is always anamorphic!

Although for PAL 4:3 the PAR is almost 1:1, you will waste processor speed resizing it to being non-anamorphic and slightly reduce quality or compression efficiency.
sdm
Bright Spark User

Post by sdm »

Yes, I believe content is always stored anamorphic on DVDs. 720x480 translates to 640x480 square pixels if the content is 4:3 and 853x480 square pixels if its 16:9 (this is for ntsc)

Its debatable, but I would not use anamorphic settings for 4:3 content rather, scale it to 640x480. Why? Because I believe thats going to be compatible with more players. Plus in theory you could use a little lower bitrate.
Is the quality the same? I don't know. I suppose since the content is being scaled, you are losing quality. But scaling down is not really that bad.

Anyone disagree? I'm interested to hear.

--sdm.
Leo
Bright Spark User

Post by Leo »

Is the quality the same? I don't know. I suppose since the content is being scaled, you are losing quality. But scaling down is not really that bad.
The difference is definitely noticeable on a sharp video. Of course for iPod you'd have to do it anyway. Depends what you're after. Also scaling makes the encoding slower! (even though to reduces the macroblocks. The consensus seems to be that resizing isn't a good idea unless have to, or you're going to (needing to) resize quite a bit, i.e. using med-low bitrates.)