Multiple Audio Tracks from 1 DVD into 1 MP4 file - Possible?

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
jasonnorm

Multiple Audio Tracks from 1 DVD into 1 MP4 file - Possible?

Post by jasonnorm »

Hey All,

I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I am in the process of converting my Carl Sagan "Cosmos" DVD box set (7 discs) to MP4 via Handbrake for viewing on my Apple TV.

The problem is that for some reason, the DVD's contain two audio tracks. 1 which contains the music and "sound effects" and the other which contains all of the Carl Sagan narative (all of the speaking). Now, I can select either 1 or the other and will either get music and sound effects only or just narrative w/out any sounds.

The actual box of the DVD case states: "English Soundtrack in AC3 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround Sound. Bonus 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround Sound Music and Sound Effects Track". I would guess that when they "remastered" the series, they added a new audio track for updated music and sound effects but left the original intact.

Any idea how I can get both tracks into the MP4 file?

Help is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!
Jason
maurj
Enlightened

Post by maurj »

Hi jasonnorm,

In Handbrake 0.8.5b1, you can select two audio tracks. Just select both tracks in the "Audio & Subtitles" tab, and they should both be extracted.

- maurj.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

Search the forum...HandBrake has issues with the Cosmos boxed set, I believe.
jasonnorm

Post by jasonnorm »

Thanks, Ill give that a try!

Anyone know why handbrake is so much slower then MediaFork? I know the 2 have merged into HandBrake (latest version). If I rip at the same encoding levels, HB is A LOT slower then MF.. (not using any of the new HB presets so I know there are no extra flags being passed and I set the same bitrate etc...

Any ideas?
jasonnorm

Post by jasonnorm »

FYI. Selecting both audio tracks worked like a champ. Not sure how i missed that settion :wink:

As for the "Cosmos" issues, I ran into the same problem. Looks like I will have to rip them all via MTR using "Title Only Extraction" to create seperate video folders for each episode on the DVDs..

DAMN PBS! :twisted:
jasonnorm

Post by jasonnorm »

Actually, I am still having a problem w/ the audio. Although they are both included in the Mp4 file now, the "music and sound effects" track is too loud and it drowns out the narrative track.

Is there anyway I can make volume adjustments to 1 of the audio tracks? (decrease the volume on the music and sound effects).