5th Gen iPod nano

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
CoreyB

5th Gen iPod nano

Post by CoreyB »

The 5th Gen iPod Nano's resolution is 376x240, the 4th gen's is 320x240.

The iPod preset would work fine for converting 4x3 videos for the 5th gen, but not widescreen ones. Whenever I try to convert a widescreen movie with Handbrake 0.9.4 for a 5th gen nano and change the width to 376 (from 320) the output video is 384x160. Why not something that is 376x??? (like 156)?

EDIT: I think I was able to obtain what I wanted. Using the iPod preset, I set the Anamorphic setting to Custom, set the Width to 376 and set the Display Width to 376, uncheck the Keep Aspect Ratio box, set the Modules to 8. The resulting video came out to 376x160. But why isn't the 5th gen iPod Nano supported by default in the iPod preset?
jbrjake
Veteran User

Re: 5th Gen iPod nano

Post by jbrjake »

The iPod preset does support your device, despite your claims to the contrary.

376 is not evenly divisable by 16. It is standard encoding procedure to use dimensions that are apportioned in the same units as the macroblock divisions used to segment the video for encoding, which are 16x16 pixels in area. If you don't like that, fine, go ahead and lower the modulus to 8 like you did. But that doesn't mean the preset isn't working before you do it.
CoreyB

Post by CoreyB »

Your right, I misspoke. What i meant was not supporting the native resolution of the 5th gen nano by default. Is there any disadvantage to lowering the Modules to 8?
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

The only disadvantage is a very minor reduction in compression efficiency.

As far as why the iPod preset is still 320 -- it's meant to be compatible with all iPods going back to the first ones that could play video.