ViewSonic VPD400 "MovieBook"

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
coolio

ViewSonic VPD400 "MovieBook"

Post by coolio »

This is my first handbrake post, so please excuse, uh, everything.

I recently purchased a new ViewSonic VPD400 "MovieBook". It is a small personal media player a bit larger than my iPhone (4.3" screen), has 800x480 resolution, and can output 720p. Because of the high resolution screen, and 720p output capabilities, I thought I could just copy my AppleTV files (encoded with Handbrake 0.9.3) onto the device.

The VPD400 refuses to play my ATV files, but it will play the files I had encoded for my 1G iPhone. I'd like to know if anyone is familiar with this device and can better explain it's capabilities.

I want to take advantage of the HD output and want the best quality possible. I'm assuming (haven't checked this yet) that playing a 1G iPhone movie from this device to my HDTV will give me approximately the same quality as playing the same 1G iPhone movie from my Apple TV to the same HDTV. I'm going to try encoding with the new AppleTV presets in Handbrake 0.9.4 and see if it will work with this device. I'll post my results later.

Thanks!
rhester
Veteran User

Re: ViewSonic VPD400 "MovieBook"

Post by rhester »

Random guess? Your device probably only supports baseline, so Apple Universal is probably the best way to fly on it.

Rodney
coolio

Post by coolio »

I tried the "Apple Universal" and the "High Profile" presets from Handbrake 0.9.4 .. both work! However, the 0.9.4 "Apple TV" preset results in the same problem. Which of the two presets do you think would work better for Apple TV?

Also, when you refer to "baseline" support in the device, do you mean the H.264 Baseline Profile (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264) ?

Thanks again!
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

coolio wrote:I tried the "Apple Universal" and the "High Profile" presets from Handbrake 0.9.4 .. both work! However, the 0.9.4 "Apple TV" preset results in the same problem. Which of the two presets do you think would work better for Apple TV?
High Profile won't work on the AppleTV. If your device supports the High Profile preset, then the AppleTV preset should work (though according to your first post, it doesn't). You could try encoding with the AppleTV preset, but unchecking the "Large file size" option. Hopefully it'll work.

Only drawback of unchecking said option is that you'll have to make sure your output file never exceeds 4 GB in size, otherwise the encode will be unusable.
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

Rodeo wrote: You could try encoding with the AppleTV preset, but unchecking the "Large file size" option. Hopefully it'll work.
This. 64 bit formatted mp4's are a regular culprit for broken device compatibility.