Subtitles problem..

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
filippos

Subtitles problem..

Post by filippos »

Hi,
First I would like to say that I am using handbrake for 1 year and its the best program I have ever used for my Ipod videos. It is 100% professional and the picture quality is superb! Just a bravo to you guys dedicating all this time and effort. Thank you. Now to my point, today I encoded a divx and experimented in inserting a srt file which i have in Greek.( I waited for a very long time for this future) In the beginning i had no luck with the UTF - 8 character but when I changed it to iso 8859-7 everything was playing great in Quicktime. So i thought great! But when i passed the m4v file in my Ipod classic latest gen. The strangest thing happened... it played the subs fine on the ipods screen but when it played on tv through the cable the subs became dots . and question marks >? How on earth is this possible ???? can someone explain this.... shouldn't the subs play on tv as they played in the ipods screen???? also is there a way to get rid of the balloon,box surrounding the subtitles text... its not as transparent as it should be.... or does it have to do with the subtitles ?

Thanks a lot,
rhester
Veteran User

Re: Subtitles problem..

Post by rhester »

The semi-transparent box surrounding the subtitle text is generated by the iPod and cannot be disabled.

As for why the subtitles do not display properly on your television, I have no advice on that - I've never tried. It certainly sounds like an iPod firmware bug to me.

Moving to Devices.

Rodney
filippos

Post by filippos »

Thank you for your reply.

The semi-transparent box surrounding the subtitle text as you said, is visible also in quick time.... so maybe its not the ipod... The truth is that if I rip a dvd movie with subtitles everything is playing perfectly in the Ipod on screen and on Television. If the subtitles are hard encoded on the episode or movie also the ipod shows perfectly the subtitles... The strangest thing of all happened yesterday I set the character at iso 8859-7 and half the episode was playing fine on my television but the other half was dots and question marks ??.. who knows...I have to experiment with 0.94 as the import srt feature is new and if I find the solution to my problem I will post it.

thanks,

Filippos
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

filippos wrote:The semi-transparent box surrounding the subtitle text as you said, is visible also in quick time.... so maybe its not the ipod...
No, it's just Apple's way of rendering text subtitles. To prove this, open the same file in VLC, you'll notice the subs don't have the darkened background.
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

Apple is using a subset of tx3g for their subtitles implementation inside iso media file format. The subtitle renderer ignores almost every part of the size/font/color/style specified inside the mp4. So there is no way to change any of it.

Vlc is even more broken and it just read the text and ignore everything else.