Device Choices

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
jimndeb

Device Choices

Post by jimndeb »

I have been using a DVD player with Divx support for years and have a collection of .avi files on external hard drives connected to the device via USB.

The new version of handbrake has opened my eyes to the world of smaller file sizes and better quality using H.264 encoding. So I'm looking for a device that will support - DVD playback, .avi playback, and playback of the H.264 file types (I'm not familiar with them but .mkv and .mp4 seem to be the most common).

Is there anything out there that supports these as a standalone device? Or is it time to deal with setting up a HTPC?

Thanks.
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: Device Choices

Post by s55 »

Some of the newer blu-ray players do support mp4 /h264 playback. You tend to find they are a bit picky about what they'll playback.

If you have the money, HTPC is defiantly the way to go as it gives you far more flexibility.
jimndeb

Post by jimndeb »

Apple TV seems to be a compromise in this area having no disc player. It won't play .avi file either, is that right?
porfitron

Post by porfitron »

Playstation 3... it plays blu-rays and games, too ;-)
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

jimndeb wrote:Apple TV seems to be a compromise in this area having no disc player. It won't play .avi file either, is that right?
Correct on both counts. However not playing an .avi file is not what I would consider a compromise ... but more good judgement. ;)
scocoabeach

Post by scocoabeach »

WD TV Live - best $120 I have spent in a while. If you buy it as best buy make sure they match their website price of $120 because they are charging $150 in the store.
Abulia

Post by Abulia »

jimndeb wrote:Apple TV seems to be a compromise in this area having no disc player. It won't play .avi file either, is that right?
Not knowing your home situation, the ATV also has an Apple UI, which means it's "SO approved." :) That is, no matter what piece of gear I use, no matter how technically awesome it is, if the wife and kids can't use it then it's of no use to me. The ATV defiantly scores points in that area. But then, we're deeply invested in the Apple/iTunes ecosystem so the ATV works quite naturally. The ATV also works with my Harmony One remote.

Be warned that the ATV could be getting an update within the next few months.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Abulia wrote:Be warned that the ATV could be getting an update within the next few months.
... which has been the case for almost two years ;)