DTS to surround in AppleTV

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
snowballtwo

DTS to surround in AppleTV

Post by snowballtwo »

Hi!

Is there any way of keeping the surround sound from a .mkv with DTS when converting to a AppleTV-format? It seems like it always become stereo?
When i feed handbrake with a new .mkv with DTS i get this:
Source:
Track1: English (DTS) (5.1 ch)
Audio codec:
AAC (faac)
or
AC3 passthru
Mixdown:
Mono or Stereo
or
Dolby Surround
or
Dolby Pro Logic II
or
6-channel discrete

Dolby Pro Logic is default. Is any of these choices gone keep my surround sound?

Best regards
nightstrm
Veteran User

Re: DTS to surround in AppleTV

Post by nightstrm »

DTS passthru is only supported in .mkv containers. Handbrake does not have the ability to convert DTS to AC3, so your only options are to 1) use MKV, which isn't compatible with AppleTV, 2) live with DPL2 and maintain AppleTV compatiblity, 3) use an external tool to convert DTS to AC3 and then stitch the audio and video together.
snowballtwo

Post by snowballtwo »

nightstrm wrote:DTS passthru is only supported in .mkv containers. Handbrake does not have the ability to convert DTS to AC3, so your only options are to 1) use MKV, which isn't compatible with AppleTV, 2) live with DPL2 and maintain AppleTV compatiblity, 3) use an external tool to convert DTS to AC3 and then stitch the audio and video together.
Thank you for your fast reply! Do you, or anybody else for that matter, have any tips how I could do option #3 on a mac with Snow Leopard?
Thanks on advance!
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

snowballtwo wrote:
nightstrm wrote:DTS passthru is only supported in .mkv containers. Handbrake does not have the ability to convert DTS to AC3, so your only options are to 1) use MKV, which isn't compatible with AppleTV, 2) live with DPL2 and maintain AppleTV compatiblity, 3) use an external tool to convert DTS to AC3 and then stitch the audio and video together.
Thank you for your fast reply! Do you, or anybody else for that matter, have any tips how I could do option #3 on a mac with Snow Leopard?
Thanks on advance!
I use eac3to, but it is Windows only. It works quite well in VMWare though...
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

You could probably transcode the DTS to AC3 using avidemux as well.
snowballtwo

Post by snowballtwo »

nightstrm wrote:
snowballtwo wrote:
Thanks on advance!
I use eac3to, but it is Windows only. It works quite well in VMWare though...
I read the User guide for eac3to, but I didn't get how I should do it? You seem like you got the hang of it! :) If you would like to write down how you extract the DTS-track from a .mkv and convert it to AC3, then puts it back, I would be extremly thankful!
Nero 7 and Libav / ffmpeg decoder were the only two decoders I needed, right?

Best regards
Northy
Enlightened

Post by Northy »

You know you can use ffmpeg to do the DTS to AC3 conversion right? although if it works on SL I do not know.
Bling2Ming
Enlightened

Post by Bling2Ming »

If you would like to write down how you extract the DTS-track from a .mkv and convert it to AC3
You could try Jake Wharton's mkvdts2ac3 script. Script + instructions and a list of the prerequisites are all on this page. http://github.com/JakeWharton/mkvdts2ac3/tree
twachner

Post by twachner »

I'm converting BR to ATV. in #2 above, you say live with DPL2 and maintain ATV compatibility. My encodings only come out in stereo without an option for DPL2. I've been trying to go the route of muxing DTS to AC3, but I would probably be almost as happy just having DPL2. Is DPL2 a setting in the ATV preset? I'm a newbie to audio encoding, so forgive me if this is an obvious question.

Thanks!