Interlacing and the AppleTV

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
icaruscollapse

Interlacing and the AppleTV

Post by icaruscollapse »

As I posted in the general forum, I'm getting an AppleTV next month, and I have some concerns about the interlacing on the anime I watch.

I have a TV that handles 720p. I really don't want to use the built-in deinterlacer in Handbrake because it gives the whole video an unfinished look. I have previously read that AppleTV doesn't handle interlaced content, but from further reading, I don't believe this to be true.

For those of you with AppleTVs, what is the quality of the AppleTVs deinterlacer? Would I be better off leaving the material interlaced (Since the computer I'm ripping onto will essentially just exist to rip CDs/DVDs to a media drive (Getting a Drobo soon too) and feed them to the Apple TV) and letting the ATV deinterlace it?

I'm sure there are some anime / cartoon watchers out there, what do you guys do?
NullMind

Re: Interlacing and the AppleTV

Post by NullMind »

icaruscollapse wrote:As I posted in the general forum, I'm getting an AppleTV next month, and I have some concerns about the interlacing on the anime I watch.

I have a TV that handles 720p. I really don't want to use the built-in deinterlacer in Handbrake because it gives the whole video an unfinished look. I have previously read that AppleTV doesn't handle interlaced content, but from further reading, I don't believe this to be true.

For those of you with AppleTVs, what is the quality of the AppleTVs deinterlacer? Would I be better off leaving the material interlaced (Since the computer I'm ripping onto will essentially just exist to rip CDs/DVDs to a media drive (Getting a Drobo soon too) and feed them to the Apple TV) and letting the ATV deinterlace it?

I'm sure there are some anime / cartoon watchers out there, what do you guys do?
I used de-interlace on "Titan AE" and looked like crap on AppleTV (or quicktime for that matter) .. so I dont use it anymore
icaruscollapse

Re: Interlacing and the AppleTV

Post by icaruscollapse »

NullMind wrote:I used de-interlace on "Titan AE" and looked like crap on AppleTV (or quicktime for that matter) .. so I dont use it anymore
How does Apple TV do at deinterlacing when you throw interlaced content at it?
icaruscollapse

Post by icaruscollapse »

Anyone? Looking for how interlaced content does on the Apple TV when it's set in 720p?
awk
Enlightened

Post by awk »

The Apple TV doesn't support H.264 Interlaced encoded video - only Progressive encoded video (http://www.apple.com/appletv/specs.html - H.264 and protected H.264 (from iTunes Store): Up to 5 Mbps, Progressive Main Profile (CAVLC) with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps (maximum resolution: 1280 by 720 pixels at 24 fps, 960 by 540 pixels at 30 fps) in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats)

So it can't do what you're asking.

If you wish to play content that was originally interlaced it must be converted to progressive content before Apple TV will play it. You can choose (or not choose) to apply a filter during that conversion process (the Deinterlace Checkbox in Picture Settings).