almost 12 hrs to rip a DVD with ATV preset?

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
casioguy

almost 12 hrs to rip a DVD with ATV preset?

Post by casioguy »

I am ripping 'Unfaithful', a DVD with dualayer 5.1 soundtrack, using AppleTV preset. It has been 8 hours and the process is only 61% done. The average encoding speed is shown as 3.74 fps with my iMac duo-core 2.0 GHz with 2GB RAM. Is this speed normal or will this vary from one DVD to another? I am using the latest version of Handbrake.
maurj
Enlightened

Post by maurj »

Hi there,

That does seem rather slow. I wonder if it might be a DVD-mastering issue, specific to that DVD, causing a bottleneck when reading from the the DVD. Do you get faster speeds for other DVDs? Or is that rip still going? ;)

- maurj.
deckeda
Enlightened

Re: almost 12 hrs to rip a DVD with ATV preset?

Post by deckeda »

casioguy wrote: ... The average encoding speed is shown as 3.74 fps ...
Ouch. That's only a little faster than if your Mac was unplugged.

My guess is that if you let it finish, you'd have audio problems: http://handbrake.m0k.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=849

You can also check out what's going on in Activity Monitor (in your Utilities folder). If Handbrake isn't using most of your CPUs (roughly 140% or more, etc.) then you're in for some despair.
loyalty_anchored
Bright Spark User

Re: almost 12 hrs to rip a DVD with ATV preset?

Post by loyalty_anchored »

casioguy wrote: The average encoding speed is shown as 3.74 fps with my iMac duo-core 2.0 GHz with 2GB RAM.
this would be a new one if its an audio drop, 3FPS is way under the usually reported 8FPS speed drop.

having said this, i am not saying it is NOT a dropped audio, just that i have yet to see such a speed decrease as a symptom of an audio drop on a 2Ghz processor.

i am very interested in seeing the results of this encode :D