New version question re: surround sound

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
brianlees
Novice

New version question re: surround sound

Post by brianlees »

OK, I have been trying to follow the surround sound discussion at the top of this forum. However, it is getting too long to keep track of what is happening, what is solved, and what is not. So, I need to be an idiot and ask the stupid questions.

I see the new version of HB does DPL II (and AA5.1 for that matter as well). I assume that this is a transcode from DTS or DD, since I know that AppleTV does not support them.

So, my question is, how good is DPL II compared to DTS or DD? I'm not an audiophile, but I want to start ripping my DVDs for a soon to be purchased ATV and I want to "future-proof" as much as possible...within reason.

Also (and I know that this is a "future" Apple question that no one can really answer, but I'll be dumb and ask it), any thoughts on whether the ATV will eventually support DTS or DD in the future? I'm not a Quicktime expert, so I don't know what the foundation contains that the ATV is built upon, which is where I assume the answer lies.

Again, sorry for being the moron, but now that the new version is out, I wanted to try and clarify some things. My wife is dying to get all her Firefly episodes at her fingertips instead of pulling out individual DVDs (she is lazy!).

Thanks

Brian
TheBum
Novice

Post by TheBum »

The mixdown to DPLII on Star Wars: A New Hope sounds surprisingly good playing from my MacBook Pro through my stereo via an optical connection.

I have run into one glitch where there is a short (~ 1 second) audio dropout during the initial chase scene, which appears to be tied to my encoding audio at 160 kbps. I did some tests, encoding only the first three chapters, and the dropout disappeared when I switched to 128 kbps. I'm in the process of running another test to see if dropping to a sample rate of 44.1 kHz and keeping the bitrate at 160 will help.
cvk_b
Veteran User

Post by cvk_b »

This might help…

DD vs DPL2
jonathankit

Post by jonathankit »

TheBum wrote:The mixdown to DPLII on Star Wars: A New Hope sounds surprisingly good playing from my MacBook Pro through my stereo via an optical connection.
As a quick side question... would using 1/8"-to-RCA hook-ups still allow for the signal to pass through to the receiver to be decoded? Very simple question that I meant to ask in numerous other threads.
cvk_b
Veteran User

Post by cvk_b »

jonathankit wrote:
As a quick side question... would using 1/8"-to-RCA hook-ups still allow for the signal to pass through to the receiver to be decoded? Very simple question that I meant to ask in numerous other threads.
Concerning Dolby Pro Logic II, yes. DPL2 is an analog technology (red,white composite cables). If your receiver can decode it you are in good shape. I am playing movies out my iPod that are correctly decoded into DPL2 5 channel surround. Woohoo Maurj!!!
Kurtz

Losing bass LFE

Post by Kurtz »

Hi
As far as I understand the only drawback to DPL2 is that you lose the bass sound that goes to the sub. No fault of the programers. At the moment its just the way it is.

However when you consider that AAC 5.1 is pretty useless until apple pulls its finger out, DPL2 is a pretty good option for the future.

Im still not decided though. Apple may change core audio and quicktime with 10.5. in that case AAC 5.1 might work out better. but thats just a wish an there are no grounds for it.

On a side note I cant seem to find out if AAC 5.1 is muxed down to DPL2 by OSX, so if someone knows. please let us know as that might help the decision.
brianlees
Novice

Post by brianlees »

Thanks for all the feedback! I REALLY would like the sub channel. So, I think I may wait and see. I guess I have one more question - can I put both AAC 5.1 and DPL II in a file? Basically, future-proofing (within reason) my movies? If so, would it be possible to strip out the DPL II later if Apple makes a move to AAC 5.1?

Basically, I would love to get started on ripping my collection now, even though I don't have an Apple TV. My wife just got a 20" LCD for the bathroom so she can watch Firefly when she is taking a bath...so I have been ordered to get a move on! :D
TheBum
Novice

Post by TheBum »

brianlees wrote:I guess I have one more question - can I put both AAC 5.1 and DPL II in a file? Basically, future-proofing (within reason) my movies? If so, would it be possible to strip out the DPL II later if Apple makes a move to AAC 5.1?
Unfortunately, there's an issue with HB (libraries?) that prevents the same audio track from being encoded twice in the same file. Since a DVD typically only has a single 5.1 track for a given language, you're currently limited to either AAC 5.1 *or* DPLII but not both. The only real workaround would be to encode the movie twice and use a tool such as QuickTime Pro to extract the audio track from one file and import it into the other file.

BTW, I discovered that 128 kbps did *not* fix my audio gap problem, so I'll have to experiment some more.
brianlees
Novice

Post by brianlees »

Can an aTV read files with multiple audio tracks? Will it automatically select the DPL II track?

It sucks because handbrake can basically do it, but the poor devs need to code around the limitations of aTV. I wish Apple would buck up and add the correct support and make everyone's life much easier.