New Handbrake Release + Surround Sound

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
jonathankit

New Handbrake Release + Surround Sound

Post by jonathankit »

Alright, I was hoping now that everyone has access to the new release of handbrake we could come up with some sort of results with how each of the audio options works on surround sound systems.
How will you guys be encoding your videos? I assume that the 6-channel descrete option is excellent for those with a Griffin Firewave, correct? As for the Doly Surround of the Dolby Prologic II options, which will you be using? What outcomes will be provided by either of those two options when being played back? As far as future-proofing our DVD rips, what would be the best option?
Basically I have a number of questions that I hope other people share. My biggest concern is ripping my DVDs then having to go back and re-rip them in a month or two (or more) when a different option proves to be better. Personally, I'm not looking for true 5.1 sound on my DVD rips, but something close to it would be ideal.
If this thread is a waste then I apologize, but I was hoping that people could post the results of their encodings (ie what equipment they're playing their files through - ie Apple TV, Mac Mini, Macbook/Pro, etc etc, what settings they used for the audio, what the resulting file sounded like)
cvk_b
Veteran User

Post by cvk_b »

I have been using the "Dolby Pro Logic II" setting since it was added to subversion. At least half my encodes are for my iPod and when I use my camcorder (analog, composite yellow, red, white) cord to connect to my Denon receiver, the signal is decoded properly.

Dolby Pro Logic II gracefully downmixes itself to "Dolby Surround" or stereo depending on your equipment. Just use that in most cases.
maurj
Enlightened

Post by maurj »

Hi jonathankit,

There's a good guide to this in the Handbrake wiki:

http://handbrake.m0k.org/trac/wiki/SurroundSoundGuide

Basically, Unless you're using a Griffin FireWave or similar, I'd just go for Dolby Pro Logic II whenever you're converting a 5.1 soundtrack.

- maurj
deckeda
Enlightened

Post by deckeda »

And don't you also get about 20% more maximum bitrate if using DPLII? (384/6=64 vs. 160/2=80)?
gswhite

Post by gswhite »

cvk_b wrote:I have been using the "Dolby Pro Logic II" setting since it was added to subversion. At least half my encodes are for my iPod and when I use my camcorder (analog, composite yellow, red, white) cord to connect to my Denon receiver, the signal is decoded properly.

Dolby Pro Logic II gracefully downmixes itself to "Dolby Surround" or stereo depending on your equipment. Just use that in most cases.
The burning question for me is are there Amplifiers/decoders on the market that really understand discrete 6 channel using AAC audio yet?

Everyone knows about the new HD Audio standards, but there has been little known about the hardware to support such standards??

G
cvk_b
Veteran User

Post by cvk_b »

deckeda wrote:And don't you also get about 20% more maximum bitrate if using DPLII? (384/6=64 vs. 160/2=80)?
I would think 6 Channel Discrete is still preferred, but that's one for maurj…
gswhite wrote:The burning question for me is are there Amplifiers/decoders on the market that really understand discrete 6 channel using AAC audio yet?
Hopefully someday.
gswhite wrote:Everyone knows about the new HD Audio standards, but there has been little known about the hardware to support such standards??
DTS-HD, etc from Blu-Ray, HD-DVD?