Need advice for encoding settings for PS3 on a Sony Bravia

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Marcel

Need advice for encoding settings for PS3 on a Sony Bravia

Post by Marcel »

Hi, I'm just in the process of trying to determine what is the ideal preset for movie encoding to watch on a Sony Bravia or similar full HD television.

I would ideally like to encode in .mkv so that I can retain subtitles and additional audio tracks but I know that the PS3 does not recognize .mkv files. Having said that, perhaps I can still encode them incase a future PS3 system update allows .mkv playback.

Does anyone have suggestions as to what a good preset would be?

Cheers, Marcel.
iiro

Re: Need advice for encoding settings for PS3 on a Sony Bravia

Post by iiro »

If you want to watch your movies on your PS3, in my opinion your best bet is to have an x264 / AC-3 inside .MKV and then use tsMuxer to remux the streams into a transport stream file (.m2ts) which will happily play on the PS3, alas with no subtitles.

Best support for subtitles in my experience is with DivX files, they support softsubs on the PS3 when you mux them in with some applications.

links:
tsMuxer
AVIAddXSubs

So all in all, Handbrake isn't really optional a tool for what you're looking for.
Marcel

Post by Marcel »

Thanks a heap for your help. Will the ac3 tracks also be multichannel? I would prefer to have 5.1 surround rather than simply stereo. Also by remuxing would I be stuck with two file fomats as I hope that the next ps3 system update will be able to support .mkv files?

Cheers, Marcel.
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

Marcel wrote:I hope that the next ps3 system update will be able to support .mkv files
I'd consider the odds of that being less than zero.

Rodney
Marcel

Post by Marcel »

rhester wrote:
Marcel wrote:I hope that the next ps3 system update will be able to support .mkv files

Rodney
why do you say that? Is it physically impossible for a ps3 to play an .mkv file?
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

Marcel wrote:
rhester wrote:

Rodney
why do you say that? Is it physically impossible for a ps3 to play an .mkv file?
Anything's possible, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Sony to add support a format that is considered by many to be used only by the pirates... especially with them owning a large movie studio themselves.
Marcel

Post by Marcel »

That's a good point, you're very right about that. However if I installed red dog Linux on the ps3 is there software to support it? Is it possible to have a dual boot for the regular ps3 OS and Linux?