Slooooooow encodes

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
cknyckny

Slooooooow encodes

Post by cknyckny »

Converting my library is going to take forever at this pace!

Using the newest beta of Handbrake I am currently getting around 5-8fps average when converting dvds on my dual 1.8 G5 Powermac with 1gb ram.

Using the following settings:
mp4 file
avc/h.264/aac
x264
one pass
avg bitrate of 1500
keep ar:off
deinterlace:off
anamorphic:on

I am first ripping the movie only to hard drive using mactheripper.

Any ideas? My 1.83 macbook core duo seems to be faring better - averaging 20fps for a movie i have running now.
loyalty_anchored
Bright Spark User

Post by loyalty_anchored »

is that the speed from the start to end of the encode?

have you allowed the encode to finish?

did you take a look at the encoding results?

was the audio missing?

:?:
cknyckny

Post by cknyckny »

that's what is showing up as fps in handbrake while it's encoding. generally it takes around 4-5 hours per pass for a 2 hour movie. audio is there fine and i'm letting the encode go through.
cknyckny

Post by cknyckny »

cknyckny wrote:that's what is showing up as fps in handbrake while it's encoding. generally it takes around 4-5 hours per pass for a 2 hour movie. audio is there fine and i'm letting the encode go through.
whoops - might have spoken to soon - it looks like audio dropped out of "walk the line" which is what just completed. hmm. time to investigate.
loyalty_anchored
Bright Spark User

Post by loyalty_anchored »

cknyckny wrote: it looks like audio dropped out
:D

there is a direct link with the encode slowing down to a crawl the second the audio drops. the typical decrease in speed is reported to being right around 8FPS on machines that can handle about 20-25FPS.

its always a good idea to run a 1 pass encode with a case like yours and check the encode once its done, once you find the dropped audio you will know its nothing worth starting a new thread for.

im sure you noticed the huge thread related to dropped audio, you can continue reading and posting in there in regards to this problem.