Settings for universal playback?

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
tiwas

Settings for universal playback?

Post by tiwas »

Hi,

I have a bunch of files to recode for playback on portable devices. I need to play them on my Windows Mobile phone, and in case I switch phone or get some other device I would like them to transfer directly without any more work.

Anyone here have an idea about which settings would work best?

Cheers!
belloq
Bright Spark User

Re: Settings for universal playback?

Post by belloq »

I know you specified "Windows Mobile", but did you try the Universal preset under "Apple" or just the "Normal" preset? I would think that a Windows mobile device could also play anything encoded with the Apple Universal preset.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

bellog you'd think that, but my 6 month old windows mobile 6.1 phone can't even playback mpeg4 without dropping frames.
The only way I've found to have any kind of consistency with WinMo devices is to use wmv which HB doesn't support.
tiwas

Post by tiwas »

Thanks!

Win mobile is the main device - everything else is just bonus! I'm trying the iPod preset as an mp4 file and will test that on both devices. Seems to be pretty quick as it's encoding at 250fps :D

Will update this post with my findings :)
Niels

Post by Niels »

if MP4's are playing on your winmo device, but its dropping frames, it may just be the processor speed of the device.

maybe if you make a few versions of a short test chapter, with successively lower datarates ?
its in the Video Tab under Avg. Bitrate (kbps).
might also/instead reduce FPS to 24 ?

S55 might know which is the better way to go...