MP4 encoding for Samsung TV

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
steje

Re: MP4 encoding for Samsung TV

Post by steje »

bacca246 wrote:However I have come across the issue of non animated movies look quite blurry whenever there is motion in the movie. Its not even fast paced but things like just when someone is walking or the camera pans around it seems quite blurry, yet when i play the same video on my macbook its not blurry at all.
Hi there - I'm new to the forum, and will be asking lots of questions after digesting some of the stuff here and experimenting :-)...

For this question though - maybe I can offer a possible answer. If you haven't discovered this already, it may very well NOT be an encoder/streaming/playback issue as opposed to an odd result of the "Auto Motion Plus" feature on the Samsung TV's. You should actually see this with other movie sources (like DVD, cable, etc) and should know that adjusting this setting is input-source specific on Samsung TV's... meaning, you can turn it OFF on the DVD input source, but it will remain ON for other sources (media play, all share, etc). This is actually "good" if you have an input source for which whose content you regularly want it turned ON. Personally, the effect it has on most of the content I view is just too distracting and strange looking so I turn it OFF everywhere (firmware updates to the TB re-enable it everywhere - arggghhh).

Depending on the TV, you'll find the "Auto Motion Plus" under the "Menu" or "Tools" menu->"Picture Settings" menu near the bottom of the list of picture settings options... for media play or all share streaming media playback, you do need to hit the "Tools" button on your remote to get to the right "Picture Settings" area to affect those playback input sources... I'd suggest you turn it OFF and see what that does or doesn't do to the effect you're seeing.
laraqui

Post by laraqui »

Hello craigminah

Thank you the code works

Please Help
What I can't figure out is why when I am using Handbrake to MP4 encoding for Samsung TV A-Serises I am getting a file that works perfectly when using the "preview" boton (Sample file) but I am getting an error on the TV "Codecs not supported" when I encode the whole file.
laraqui

Post by laraqui »

by craigminah » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:27 am
This one works:

-f mp4 -O --encoder x264 --vb 2500 --strict-anamorphic --two-pass --turbo --maxWidth 720 --aencoder faac --ab 192 --arate 48 --mixdown 6ch -x ref=3:bframes=2:subq=8:mixed-refs=0:weightb=0:8x8dct=0:trellis=2:no-fast-pskip=1:weightp=0
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thank you this code definitely works most of the time especially when using Serviio and Samsung TV A-Series. However I want to encode my VIDEO_TS to be used with Twonky. While using the encoding above and Twonky & Samsung TV A-Series , I can't undertand why the encoded file works if I run the "preview" of Handbrake i.e a Sample; but the encoded file doesn't work (Error "Codecs not suported" in the TV) if I run Handbrake on the full VIDEO_TS.

Any suggestion
Cherlin

Post by Cherlin »

First off i do not know ANYTHING. but i did this to fix it, and this isnt a proper fix, it just works for me.
i figured it out last week, but i have win7, should work on prev OS
1) once the movie is converted but will not play to the samsung tv, try this.
2) right click on the movie , Details Tab. there is an option to remove all properties and personal information.
3) select create a copy will all possible properties removes.

This makes a new copy that works. (shrug)

i am not sure what specific thing is hanging it up but it works.

good luck

Cherlin
(knows nothing but likes to fiddle with S...t)
ibedi1

Post by ibedi1 »

I am looking for an idiots guide to the best (universal) video and audio settings to use for a Samsung TV, ipad and iphone to be streamed from a NAS. I have tried so many combinations. Grateful if you can help.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

"Best" is VERY subjective, because the settings are far from universal. My "compatibility" profile, which is playable on smart TVs, iOS and Android devices, throws out multiple language and subtitle tracks, because none of the target devices handle Bluray subtitles at all, some have restrictions on DVD subtitles, and most can't deal with switching audio tracks very well.

Even with a "smart TV", when dealing with Bluray, where are your controls for audio and subtitles? Not on the TV remote, but on the BD player remote... For anything complicated, your TV becomes a monitor attached to another device, and none of its "intelligence" is helping.

You really can't be an idiot for this... What are YOUR video preferences/needs? Start there, and work backwards.

My NAS has two copies of everything... the "portable device" version (based on "Android Tablet"), and the "smart media player" (based on "High profile" but changed to MKV container) version.

For stuff intended for the family, played through a smart TV with no external media player, where foreign languages are few and no one cares about changing audio settings, that "compatibility" profile, which is based upon the built-in "Normal" preset with a few tweaks, comes into play.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

ibedi1 wrote:Samsung TV, ipad and iphone to be streamed from a NAS.
This covers a lot of ground. Can you provide more details/model numbers etc.