Problems converting DVD's to PSP

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
vassie

Problems converting DVD's to PSP

Post by vassie »

I have a weird problem converting DVD's to my PSP, I have created a new profile for PSP AVC by following these settings, however, once copied to my PSP (which has the very latest firmware), says "Unsupported Data", however, if I convert a file (usually AVI) using this profile, it plays fine.

This is the string of the profile I created...

Code: Select all

-f m4v -w 480 -P  -e x264 -b 1024 -2  -T  -a 1 -E faac -B 128 -R 48 -6 dpl2 -D 1 -m -x level=3 -v 
Michael7
Novice

Re: Problems converting DVD's to PSP

Post by Michael7 »

Have you tried converting it to mp4 o_O?
vassie

Post by vassie »

Yes, still have the same problem
tedtaylor

Post by tedtaylor »

Hi,

These are the command line parameters that I use, and it always works on my PSP 1001 (fully updated official firmware) :

Code: Select all

--maxWidth 480 --maxHeight 272 --encoder x264 --x264opts cabac=0 --vb 768 --aencoder faac --ab 128 --arate 48 --output "video file name.mp4"
Ted.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

Do you have any reason to think the PSP supports variable framerate video, and if not, why aren't you setting a constant framerate?
tedtaylor

Post by tedtaylor »

Hi,

I have no reason to think I know anything. I did everything by experimentation, trying to make sure the same file can be played by the PSP, by my wife's iPod Touch G2, as well as being able to pass thru iTunes on its way to the iPod Touch. I shared my results here http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8405, along with my reasons for doing what I did.

Sony's documentation http://manuals.playstation.net/document ... types.html says the PSP (on firmware 5.00) will support
H.264/MPEG-4 AVC Main Profile (CABAC) (AAC) and Baseline Profile (AAC)

The manual http://www.playstation.com/manual/pdf/P ... -2.6_1.pdf says
The system can play video data converted at bit rates lower than 768 kbps.

Does the PSP support variable framerate video? I don't know.

All I know, is that my settings work for me, 100%, all the time. Since Vassie's settings are not consistently playble, I thought I'd share what I use.

Thanks,
Ted.
snm77

Post by snm77 »

Ted,

Your post finally helped me fix my PSP encoding problems, thank you. I discovered that my Sony 4gig Memory Stick Pro Duo is crap.

To everyone who encodes to a PSP, I STRONGLY recommend that you invest in a SanDisk Memory Stick Pro Duo Ultra II. Speed appears to be critical here. I'm not sure if my Sony card is actually bad or just slow, never had any errors DISPLAYED while reading it, but MAN is everything better with the Ultra II

I've been encoding using various settings, and I could ONLY get animation to work properly - real full motion video would be full of audio skips, video skips, and occasional artifacts. It took 5 minutes to start playing just about any video I encoded.

This is the first time I've seen the note about the PSP supporting a bit rate of less than 768. Using that setting, things ALMOST worked, but not quite. This really pointed to my memory being a problem.

Today I put in my 4 gig Sandisk Utra II, and all my problems went away - even with several encodes I've done over the course of the last year that NEVER worked. I use the GUI,here is what it tells me the options were that I set :
-i "Z:\sourceVIDEO" -t 8 -c 1-9 -o "C:\Destination.mp4" -f mp4 -w 480 -l 272 -e x264 -b 768 -2 -T -a 2 -E faac -B 128 -R 48 -6 dpl2 -D 1 --markers="C:\
\VIDEO_TS-8-chapters.csv" -x level=3 -v

The source had 5 chapters, labeled 5-9, that's where the --markers= came from. the level=3 is something I added under the "advanced" tab per the recomendation of a few other PSP encoding posts. Looks great, sounds great, all I could ask.