ATV not playing all encoded videos...

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
glowrider

ATV not playing all encoded videos...

Post by glowrider »

Hey folks. I've been using MediaFork the past few days to encode dvds I'm ripping with MacTheRipper. I rip, I encode, resize in QT, and add to my library. For the most part, it is working great. ATV sees it in my library and I can play it. However, some videos give a message that it can't be copied cause ATV doesn't understand the format (if I try syncing), and streaming it just doesn't show it.

There is no rhyme or reason - I've done the same process for the working files as I do for the non-working ones.

Any help?

Thanks.
baggss

Post by baggss »

Please tell us the exact settings you are using for HB/MF, MTR and QT.
glowrider

Post by glowrider »

baggss wrote:Please tell us the exact settings you are using for HB/MF, MTR and QT.
MTR: Default settings

MF: I select the video_ts file/
mp4-mpeg-4 w/aac audio
FFmpeg
FPS: Same as source
Picture size: anamorphic
Use target size of 3999mb (usually comes in way under, but I know it can't stream over 4gb)

This creates my mp4 player which I then load into Quicktime

QT: Change video size to the proper video size and select High Quality.
Save as a contained movie.

This creates file.mov

I load this .mov into iTunes movie library. I double check that it plays in itunes, and then I go to the Apple TV. ALL my files play both in quicktime and iTunes. However, a few of the files (again, that play in itunes/qt) do not work over the Apple TV.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

glowrider wrote:Use target size of 3999mb (usually comes in way under, but I know it can't stream over 4gb)
I have never read that there was a max size on aTV streaming.

However, such a ridiculously large size is, no doubt, causing a peak bitrate higher than the 5 megabits a second aTV is spec'd to handle.
glowrider

Post by glowrider »

jbrjake wrote:
glowrider wrote:Use target size of 3999mb (usually comes in way under, but I know it can't stream over 4gb)
I have never read that there was a max size on aTV streaming.

However, such a ridiculously large size is, no doubt, causing a peak bitrate higher than the 5 megabits a second aTV is spec'd to handle.
The files come in usually under 2gb for just the main feature. But the idea of the peak bit rate is intriguing.

As for the 4gb max size (amongst other places):
http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/05/apple-tv-review/
Last edited by glowrider on Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

Why is QT making it a .mov, and don't those files have a lower bitrate restriction?
glowrider

Post by glowrider »

I've double checked my bit rates. Max bitrate on any of the files not streaming to ATV is 3750kb/s.

Saving as a .mov because after I resize it (anamorphic encoding), I save as a self-contained movie.

Again, everything is playing in QT and iTunes. Just not over apple tv (syncing or streaming).
glowrider

Post by glowrider »

In case anyone needed a solution, I found that using ffmpegx does NOT always work with apple tv. The thing is uber-finicky.

Using h264 I have not had another problem.
gswhite

Post by gswhite »

glowrider wrote:I've double checked my bit rates. Max bitrate on any of the files not streaming to ATV is 3750kb/s.

Saving as a .mov because after I resize it (anamorphic encoding), I save as a self-contained movie.

Again, everything is playing in QT and iTunes. Just not over apple tv (syncing or streaming).
You do not need to save your file within Quicktime as a .mov file in order to resize, it that is what you are doing?

Once you have changed the aspect ratio/Size do the following:-

Just export, and choose MP4(H.264) as format then go into 'OPTIONS' and change the video and audio options to 'PassThrough', and provide a new Name for your file but keep the MP4(H.264) format, Et Voila.

Off course you could just compile the latest Handbrake build which does all this for you from the Handbrake SVN, and not worry about going through all this nonsense :)

I would also say your bitrate for encoding is far to high. I encode DVD's at maximum 3000kbps, which is visually the same as the source DVD video. I certainly can not see the difference.

G
glowrider

Post by glowrider »

gswhite wrote:
glowrider wrote:I've double checked my bit rates. Max bitrate on any of the files not streaming to ATV is 3750kb/s.

You do not need to save your file within Quicktime as a .mov file in order to resize, it that is what you are doing?

Once you have changed the aspect ratio/Size do the following:-

Just export, and choose MP4(H.264) as format then go into 'OPTIONS' and change the video and audio options to 'PassThrough', and provide a new Name for your file but keep the MP4(H.264) format, Et Voila.

Off course you could just compile the latest Handbrake build which does all this for you from the Handbrake SVN, and not worry about going through all this nonsense :)

I would also say your bitrate for encoding is far to high. I encode DVD's at maximum 3000kbps, which is visually the same as the source DVD video. I certainly can not see the difference.

G
Thanks for your reply. I was following directions found off of one of the wikis for Apple TV. Nonetheless, I have already compiled the latest build and am now encoding movies using the presets (although audio still must be selected, even with the preset used). No more problems.

I do believe this is solved.