Advanced options and CPU

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
peter893

Advanced options and CPU

Post by peter893 »

What advanced .h264 settings/options use more CPU to decode? aside from bitrate and size 480/720/1080 what makes it harder for a cpu to playback?

??
kvaruni
Novice

Re: Advanced options and CPU

Post by kvaruni »

You should take a look at:
http://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/x264Options#high

In essence, it depends on what devices you are targeting. Do you want it to play on an iPod, an Apple TV or a high-end computer? These three groups form in essence the baseline, main and high profile. Each profile adds more options that (sometimes) require more processing power to decode. Near the baseline profile we have that CABAC, reference frames and b-frames add to the complexity. If you want the speediest, stick to CAVCL with 1, 2 or 3 reference frames and turn b-frames off since this requires the decoder to look backwards. Turning on more options for b-frames makes it often harder to decode but even more important is that it will sometimes not even play! Enabling 8x8dct during analysis may break compatibility as well, but I am unsure on its effect on decoding speed. I am unsure about trellis and its effect on performance, but my experience tells me that no dct-decimate and no fast-p-skip both improve quality and size/encoding time, yet offer movie files that are no harder to decode. The final group of options is motion and I am unsure of their effect, however I would say from experience that this has no effect on decoding speed. Then again, you would be safe setting this to me=umh:me-range=32:subme=6 for nearly all your encodes since settings this any higher does not really improve quality, yet has a significant impact on encoding speed.
peter893

Re: Advanced options and CPU

Post by peter893 »

Thanks for the input... Ive been tru that wiki lots of times..

But yes im looking for playback ease not really encoding time. What make it easier for a given CPU to playback the encode.
Thank you for your input, it is appreciated.

Pete