How to properly convert files for the PS3

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Rewes

How to properly convert files for the PS3

Post by Rewes »

Hi!

I have been working on this for the past week or so but I can't seem to get this to work. I'm obviously doing something wrong. I'm trying to convert a .TS and a .MKV files that would play on my Playstation 3, both are FullHD files. The .MKV is not that important as I can do the convertation on Windows, by the way I'm using a Mac.

When I convert the file using HandBrake it works on my Mac but not on the PS3, where it just says that the file format is not supported or something similar. Is there a general settings for PS3 - one that would work? I search and tried a bunch with no luck. This is really starting to frustrate me, I trully hope someone could help.

THANKS! :D

PS. I read the FAQ.
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: How to properly convert files for the PS3

Post by s55 »

Use the PS3 preset.
This is really starting to frustrate me
Throw it out the window. It'll make you feel better. It's a really poor media playback device.
Rewes

Post by Rewes »

s55 wrote:Use the PS3 preset.
This is really starting to frustrate me
Throw it out the window. It'll make you feel better. It's a really poor media playback device.
The PS3 preset seems to suck big time so it's not helping and I'm not going to throw it anywhere as I like it. :D
iiro

Post by iiro »

I think the ts files should work on the playstation 3 directly, at least my .m2ts files work.
Otherwise for the mkv's, if they have h.264 / ac3, you can put them through tsMuxer and mux then as .m2ts which will work on the PS3.

Link to tsMuxer
Rewes

Post by Rewes »

Thanks! I shall try this asap.
Rewes

Post by Rewes »

Thanks for the tsMuxer hint! That works and converts .MKV files for the PS3 but the .TS file still doesn't want to play ball with me. Maybe I just forget about it. Hieno homma, paljon kiitoksia!
Chewie

Post by Chewie »

The PS3 preset seems to suck big time so it's not helping
I have to agree. This is a device that can playback Blu-ray discs, yet the DVD conversions I'm getting with Handbrake (latest version + latest version of VLC -- on Leopard) are very "banded". I'm not sure what the technical term would be, but it's like watching through tiny venetian blinds. Almost like you get one line of picture, one (thin) line of black, another line of picture, etc.

Is there a "best practice" to get a decent output for the PS3? The preset doesn't seem quite right.

Thanks!