Handbrake and AVCHD, Canon Vixia HG20 Camcorder

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
renshaw8

Handbrake and AVCHD, Canon Vixia HG20 Camcorder

Post by renshaw8 »

I just purchased a Canon HG20 HD camcorder and have read reviews on the software that came with my camera (Pixela ImageMixer). Most reviews say that this software is basically useless. I haven't installed it. I would like to know if anyone can tell me if HandBrake can handle the AVCHD format in the HG20 and capture the video from my camera? Thanks
rhester
Veteran User

Re: Handbrake and AVCHD, Canon Vixia HG20 Camcorder

Post by rhester »

Moving to Devices

Rodney
belloq
Bright Spark User

Post by belloq »

I have fed the .mt2s files from my HF10 (AVCHD as well) and HB has encoded them fine. No editing, of course, but the file size is way better than AIC created by FCE.
nathug
Bright Spark User

Post by nathug »

belloq wrote:I have fed the .mt2s files from my HF10 (AVCHD as well) and HB has encoded them fine. No editing, of course, but the file size is way better than AIC created by FCE.
What file format are you encoding to, and also can you then edit these in iMovie 09 OK?

Nate
renshaw8

Post by renshaw8 »

Thanks bellog. o you know if I can capture the vids from the camera with Handbreak?
belloq
Bright Spark User

Post by belloq »

nathug wrote:What file format are you encoding to, and also can you then edit these in iMovie 09 OK?
I believe I encoded to a rather generic x264-encoded MP4 with AAC audio (mixdown from the AC3 2/0 from the camera). I have not attempted to import into iMovie. I would be surprised if there was any issue, though it will convert it to a H/DV format I imagine.
renshaw8 wrote:Thanks bellog. o you know if I can capture the vids from the camera with Handbreak?
That's "belloq" (with a 'q') and 'HandBrake'... :wink:

I'm not sure what you mean by "capture the vids"... but if your camera is like mine and has a USB port/and cable, it should mount as a drive on the computer, and you browse through and find the files using the Source button in HandBrake. If you mean something else by "capture" then reply back again with clarification.
renshaw8

Post by renshaw8 »

Sorry Belloq, I'm new to the digital video scene. I just got the camera about 3 days ago. So I guess I was thinking that the software supplied is needed to get the video from camera to the computer. I guess I can just move the files from my SDHC card to a folder, right? ...... btw, I noticed that there are .BDM , .CPI and .BDM files there also. Do I just work with the .MTS files or do I use those too? Thanks
belloq
Bright Spark User

Post by belloq »

I thought the HG20 was just a HD camcorder. Didn't realize it had SDHC like my HF10. Yes, I use both methods. I usually use an external card reader. The .mts files are the actual. The other files are not necessary. Some are thumbnail files for display on the camera. There's also some files which are the "playlists" used in the camera interface as well.
nathug
Bright Spark User

Post by nathug »

belloq wrote:
nathug wrote:What file format are you encoding to, and also can you then edit these in iMovie 09 OK?
I believe I encoded to a rather generic x264-encoded MP4 with AAC audio (mixdown from the AC3 2/0 from the camera). I have not attempted to import into iMovie. I would be surprised if there was any issue, though it will convert it to a H/DV format I imagine.
Well iMovie is supposed to do this with no conversion anymore, this is why Sanyo cameras now record to mp4 and not AVCHD.

Nate
belloq
Bright Spark User

Post by belloq »

nathug wrote:Well iMovie is supposed to do this with no conversion anymore, this is why Sanyo cameras now record to mp4 and not AVCHD.

Nate
That's great, then. I'm waiting for iLife '09 when it bundles with Snow Leopard. At least I hope Apple bundles them like they did Leopard+iLife'09.
renshaw8

Post by renshaw8 »

Well, belloq, I've installed my HandBrake and tested a couple of 5-6 second .MTS files with no success. A couple wouldn't play and the rest looked and sounded bad. What preset are you using with your HF10? And are there any special settings that I can make. Like I said, I'm new to this and I'm thinking I might be over my head.
renshaw8

Post by renshaw8 »

Just reporting back....I finally got good results with the AppleTV preset and changing it to an MP4. It looks and sounds good so I don't even know if I want to try to tweek it. I might play around a little. Thanks for your help belloq.
renshaw8

Post by renshaw8 »

belloq, I posted this yesterday but something must have happened.......Just reporting back. I finally got my vids to play by converting them to .MP4 in Handbreak. The VLC played the MTS files but the video was like a "still" photo. And The KMPlayer played them but after about 5 seconds the audio started skipping and ended all together about 5 seconds before the end of the clip. I like the KMPlayer. I'll have to play around with its settings and see what it can do. BTW, I converted the MTS files in Handbrake using the "Apple TV" preset and selecting MP4 in the drop down. It went from 181MB to 21.7MB and looks great.. Thanks again.
belloq
Bright Spark User

Post by belloq »

Cool, man. That's great. Glad I could help. If you tweak some settings, add a new preset and when you find the one that you like the best, delete the others.
renshaw8

Post by renshaw8 »

Ok, I didn't know I could delete the other presets. I'm still playing with it....... BTW, There are (Buy It Now) 16 GB Sandisk Ultra, Class 4 SDHC Cards at this page on Ebay for $35.00 I got a couple for myself........... I hope I added the URL correctly

http://cgi.ebay.com/SanDisk-16GB-Ultra- ... 1|294%3A50