Cropping and resizing best practice

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
epiphany66

Cropping and resizing best practice

Post by epiphany66 »

To cut a long story short, the editor I use has a weird bug where it adds a thin border around the video which cannot be removed. Therefore I have to crop the videos in Handbrake by a few pixels to lose the border. Yes it's ridiculous. I have tried other editors, but for the kind of videos I make it's by far the most efficient, so I'll live with the border issue for now.

Anyway, my question is, is it generally better to UP scale or DOWN scale after cropping?

For example, option 1 is to export the video at 1080p, crop and then resize back UP to 1080.

Option 2 is to export the video at a higher resolution, crop and then resize DOWN to 1080.

I'm guessing that resizing down is generally better than up, but I might be overlooking something.

Any advice much appreciated.
Last edited by epiphany66 on Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: Cropping and resizing best practice

Post by rollin_eng »

Could you export at 1088 or whatever, then just crop to 1080.
epiphany66

Re: Cropping and resizing best practice

Post by epiphany66 »

I should have mentioned that the source files prior to editing and export are 1080p, if that makes a difference.

Unfortunately my laptop is quite old and not 1080 resolution so I can't properly test the comparible quality of 1080 videos. Probably making this more complicated than it should be, but wondering if exporting at source size and then resizing up (after crop) is preferable to exporting at higher than source (e.g. 1088 like you mentioned) and cropping to 1080. If there is any difference of course.