DRC

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
nathug
Bright Spark User

DRC

Post by nathug »

Has the DRC changed in anyway sine 0.9.3 and SVN 2233?

I've always set it at 1.25 to add a very slight compression, but now it doesn't seem to be working as well?

Also is there a scale that you guys have the DRC settings at. I'm a sound guys and am used to seeing compression set in a scale stated something like 1:2 1:4 etc. etc. Is this the same, e.g. 1.25 would be 1:1.25?

I'm very interested in how your settings work.

Cheers

Nate
jbrjake
Veteran User

Re: DRC

Post by jbrjake »

The change has been to default to not applying DRC instead of defaulting to applying default DRC. Now you have to actually specify 1 for the DRC to get default DRC, and greater than 1 to get it further compressed. So if you were setting --drc=1.2 before, it should work the same way now.

When DRC > 1 and bitstream dynamic range compression > 1 (which means the bitstream is trying to boost a soft sound)
Output compression = bitstream compression ^ DRC
...which leads to the soft sound being boosted more.
nathug
Bright Spark User

Post by nathug »

Is this based off of the DRC profile that is already in the AC3 stream for Hi-Fi amplifier Night settings?

Nate
nathug
Bright Spark User

Post by nathug »

jbrjake wrote:The change has been to default to not applying DRC instead of defaulting to applying default DRC. Now you have to actually specify 1 for the DRC to get default DRC, and greater than 1 to get it further compressed.
Don't know if this is wrong or not, but.. I just checked it out and its defaulting to 1 (3 o'clock). I can change it to 0 (12 o'clock) manually. I updated the presets to check, and it still defaults to 1.

I'm running SVN2233.

Nate
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

Not for night settings, just the usual DRC listening room profile, the bitstream dynamic range compression. The number we either:

- Strip if the specified DRC is 0
- Pass through if the specified DRC is 1
or
- Alter as explained above if the specified DRC is greater than 1.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

nathug wrote:Don't know if this is wrong or not, but.. I just checked it out and its defaulting to 1 (3 o'clock). I can change it to 0 (12 o'clock) manually. I updated the presets to check, and it still defaults to 1.
Uh...I'm talking about libhb. That's just because you're using an 0.9.3 preset that sets a DRC of 1. The 0.9.4 draft presets I describe in the dev forum set it to 0.
nathug
Bright Spark User

Post by nathug »

jbrjake wrote:Not for night settings, just the usual DRC listening room profile, the bitstream dynamic range compression. The number we either:

or
So, if you have a converted DTS, DTD HD or TrueHD audio file from either a DVD or Blu-ray, lets say done by eac3to there is a good chance that there is no DRC profile? Then the DRC in HB won't do anything?

Nate
nathug
Bright Spark User

Post by nathug »

jbrjake wrote:
nathug wrote:Don't know if this is wrong or not, but.. I just checked it out and its defaulting to 1 (3 o'clock). I can change it to 0 (12 o'clock) manually. I updated the presets to check, and it still defaults to 1.
Uh...I'm talking about libhb. That's just because you're using an 0.9.3 preset that sets a DRC of 1. The 0.9.4 draft presets I describe in the dev forum set it to 0.
Oh OK. Can't wait to use them.

Any idea when your anamorphic settings for HD source conversions will be implemented. Can't wait to try them out?

Nate
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

nathug wrote:So, if you have a converted DTS, DTD HD or TrueHD audio file from either a DVD or Blu-ray, lets say done by eac3to there is a good chance that there is no DRC profile? Then the DRC in HB won't do anything?
I have no idea. I would assume it would just hint a DRC of 1 for everything, so the custom dynrng_call would just output 1 too.
nathug wrote:Any idea when your anamorphic settings for HD source conversions will be implemented. Can't wait to try them out?
The MacGui interface for that stuff is currently in development and looking very snazzy, thanks to dynaflash.
nathug
Bright Spark User

Post by nathug »

Thanks for the great information and support!!

Nate
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

nathug wrote:
jbrjake wrote:Not for night settings, just the usual DRC listening room profile, the bitstream dynamic range compression. The number we either:

or
So, if you have a converted DTS, DTD HD or TrueHD audio file from either a DVD or Blu-ray, lets say done by eac3to there is a good chance that there is no DRC profile? Then the DRC in HB won't do anything?

Nate
eac3to removes dialog normalization from EAC3, TrueHD, and DTS HD tracks... as far as I know this is different than the DRC values that jbrjake is talking about, but I'm not 100% sure on that. I've never been able to find a clear answer.
nathug
Bright Spark User

Post by nathug »

I know that DTS tracks containing DRC are out there, but are few and far between. They also need a compatible amplifier that will read DRC in DTS streams. I guess DTS track conversions will just pass through the HB DRC.

Nate
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

nathug wrote:I guess DTS track conversions will just pass through the HB DRC.
No, none of this affects DTS. Custom DRC power-leveling utilizes a callback function feature of the liba52 ac3 decoding library.