Film vs Universal Preset / whats best for 61" TV?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
phoenixdown

Film vs Universal Preset / whats best for 61" TV?

Post by phoenixdown »

Hi everyone :)

Handbrake is an amazing tool and I've been learning a great deal from the forums and the help documentation in the wiki about the various encoding options but I guess I still have some questions, so here I am.

I am looking to convert my dvd collection to MP4 and I am trying to find the best balance between file size and quality. Which is probably true of everyone.

I plan on watching these movies on my 61" DLP TV so I am trying to encode with that mind. I'm not worried about making it available on my iphone or anything like that. That said, I haven't decided on a playback device yet (popcorn hour, apple tv, dedicated media center pc).

So I tried out two presets on Con Air.

The Apple Universal file came out to 4.35 gigs which is almost as large as the dvd iso
The Film Preset came out to 1.89 gigs which isn't bad.

On my 21" inch LCD's - the pictures look identical and I can't see a difference but I'm not sure if the same will be true on my 61" tv. I have to order cables to I'm not going to be able to see it live for another few weeks and I was hoping to start encoding before then.

I'd appreciate any insight or suggestions you might have to offer for my particular set up and goals.

Thank you
- John
nathug
Bright Spark User

Re: Film vs Universal Preset / whats best for 61" TV?

Post by nathug »

You need to decide your playback device 1st, else you may end up encoding way to many times as some devices support ac3 passthrough, some don't link ac3 in the file. The list goes on, and on. Each one changes how you will encode your movies etc.

I would strongly recommend an AppleTV, as its seems to be the most supported on these forums and so is easy to work with. I have one and love it!

I would also check your encodes, you shouldn't be getting 4.35g on ConAir with the Universal Preset, more like 1.5g ish. Word of warning, read the rules above, as the guys here tend to not help unless you supply the encoding log. Its the easiest way for them to help you!

Nate
phoenixdown

Re: Film vs Universal Preset / whats best for 61" TV?

Post by phoenixdown »

I'm leaning towards apple tv myself. I will rerun some encodes tonight and post the logs up tomorrow. :)