Autocrop sampling question

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
RickAns

Autocrop sampling question

Post by RickAns »

Greetings,

I am curious on how much of a video autocrop examines to determine it's settings. Does it look at just the beginning, or takes samples at certain intervals throught the video?

I ask because I have noticed on some older TV episodes the 'trash area' on the sides of the video is not always constant. Sometimes during the episode it may change which side has more black space on it. Not a big change, but noticeable. Normally this would be hidden by the overscan of the TV. Yet can be seen when viewing the uncropped video on a monitor.

The autocropping for movies in removing the letterbox area works perfectly. In the past I have tended to crop the bars off of movies but not crop fullscreen TV shows. I'm leaning towards starting to autocrop the 4:3 shows as well. Which has spawned my question on how autocropping may deal with possible changing trash areas.

Cheers,
Rick

off topic - I stumbled across HandBrake shortly after the 0.9.3 release came out and have been really enjoying using this fine program. It has quickly become my prefered GUI of choice. A big Thanks and Kudos to those who created it. :-)
jbrjake
Veteran User

Re: Autocrop sampling question

Post by jbrjake »

It takes, by default, a sample image every 10% of the video, then analyzes them all: http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6287
RickAns

Post by RickAns »

Thanks for the quick reply. That is just the answer I was seeking. The link really helped as well. I searched in General forum for Autocrop settings. Did not occur to me to search in Code / Dev as well. Gonna browse through there more often. :-)

Cheers,
Rick
Hello
Regular User

Post by Hello »

Yeah, I've had a lot of problems with cropping on TV Shows with HandBrake, especially with shows like South Park and a lot of Adult Swim shows like Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Lawand Space Ghost Coast to Coast that use a lot of different crop settings, mostly because they use footage from older cartoons. I have however, had the idea to log all of my settings that I have used (only for South Park so far), but as I convert episodes I will add more information. Not to self-advertise, but the topic is located here http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9214 and I hope to create a sort of reference forum topic that will have listings for many different shows so people can look at it for information about cropping shows if they don't want to test it all out themselves. Anyway, it's still a work in progress, but I'm just trying to help.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

Hello wrote:I'm just trying to help.
Uh, if you actually wanted to help, you would have posted thorough bug reports each time autocrop failed for you (preferably including the preview images generated during scan that are stored in your /tmp directory), so that it would be possible for someone to actually look into the issues you are experiencing.
Hello
Regular User

Post by Hello »

jbrjake wrote:
Uh, if you actually wanted to help, you would have posted thorough bug reports each time autocrop failed for you (preferably including the preview images generated during scan that are stored in your /tmp directory), so that it would be possible for someone to actually look into the issues you are experiencing.
I don't know what any of that means, but I don't really understand how the autocrop or preview images work, plus HandBrake seems to overlook the areas that need to be autocropped that aren't solid black areas, like areas with lighter black areas or rapidly changing crops. Sorry I screwed up.
Hello
Regular User

Post by Hello »

jbrjake wrote:
Plus, from what I understand that you are saying, I don't have any of those files because I converted these episodes awhile ago and I cleared my temporary files like a week ago, and I didn't even know these preview images exist, however, I will look for them, but I don't know what temp folder it is in, is in AppData or what???