Best for transcoding WMV?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
banWMV

Best for transcoding WMV?

Post by banWMV »

As a relative newcomer to HandBrake and even moreso to the forum, i'd just like to say WOW! :shock: HandBrake is the greatest video app i've seen, yields the best results, and has the clearest UI, even if the advanced settings are somewhat over my head. Excellent online documentation, too.

I was wishing it could work on formats other than DVD and presto, my wish came true. :mrgreen:

As a Mac person, i'd rather not have my video in WMV format. I know the variables in going between formats like WMV and MPEG4 are far flung, but i have some questions somebody may be able to advise me on. The WMV files i'm currently working on are pretty high quality and i just want to keep them looking good while putting them into either iTunes/5G iPod/iPod Touch compatible container or MKV -- which i'm really impressed with now that players are showing up.

Here's some example Activity Window output:

Code: Select all

[16:19:28] macgui: trying to open video_ts folder (parent directory chosen)
[16:19:28] hb_scan: path=/Volumes/Io/Trialvid.wmv, title_index=0
[16:19:28] scan: trying to open with libdvdread
[16:19:28] dvd: not a dvd - trying as a stream/file instead
Input #0, asf, from '/Volumes/Io/Trialvid.wmv':
  Duration: 00:22:41.72, start: 3.000000, bitrate: 3164 kb/s
    Stream #0.0: Audio: wmav2, 22050 Hz, mono, s16, 16 kb/s
    Stream #0.1: Video: wmv3, yuv420p, 960x540, 3129 kb/s, 25.00 tb(r)
[16:19:28] scan: decoding previews for title 1
[16:19:28] scan: 10 previews, 960x540, 25.000 fps, autocrop = 0/0/0/0, aspect 16:9, PAR 1:1
[16:19:28] scan: title (0) job->width:960, job->height:544
[16:19:28] libhb: scan thread found 1 valid title(s)
[16:19:29] macgui: ScanDone state received from fHandle
[16:25:18] macgui: Rip: Pending queue count is 0
[16:25:18] macgui: Rip: No pending jobs, so sending this one to doAddToQueue
[16:25:18] macgui: Rip: Going right to performNewQueueScan
[16:25:18] macgui: scanning specifically for title: 1
[16:25:18] macgui: performNewQueueScan currentQueueEncodeIndex is: 0
[16:25:18] hb_scan: path=/Volumes/Io/Trialvid.wmv, title_index=1
[16:25:18] scan: trying to open with libdvdread
[16:25:18] dvd: not a dvd - trying as a stream/file instead
Input #0, asf, from '/Volumes/Io/Trialvid.wmv':
  Duration: 00:22:41.72, start: 3.000000, bitrate: 3164 kb/s
    Stream #0.0: Audio: wmav2, 22050 Hz, mono, s16, 16 kb/s
    Stream #0.1: Video: wmv3, yuv420p, 960x540, 3129 kb/s, 25.00 tb(r)
[16:25:18] scan: decoding previews for title 1
[16:25:19] scan: 10 previews, 960x540, 25.000 fps, autocrop = 0/0/0/0, aspect 16:9, PAR 1:1
[16:25:19] scan: title (0) job->width:960, job->height:544
[16:25:19] libhb: scan thread found 1 valid title(s)
I don't know the original format of the videos and with HB .93 presets have changed so i don't know where to begin. I typically started from the no longer present high quality preset that was just below the insane one, and made necessary changes since i don't have a clear enough knowledge of all the advanced settings to know which to use. Additionally, i wasn't working on WMV.

I could start with the Apple Universal setting, but that begins with MP4, smaller dimensions and 25 fps and so doesn't seem to make that much sense, since i'm not all that interested in putting it on my devices and being in the US, i'm using NTSC. I think i'd prefer an MKV container but the "High Profile" presets don't seem quite appropriate. Some of the videos are interlaced, but most aren't. The videos are from neither feature film nor broadcast television.

I guess i'd just like some general advice about what to go with given that i'd like to get to an MKV with quality maintained, keeping 960 x 540 (or perhaps going to loose anamorphic) and 25 fps.

I'm not really mentioning the nitty gritty details because although i've read the HandBrake guide and some related links, i don't know how significantly the different advanced settings will affect the output. I guess part of what i'm questioning is which of the presets will begin with the most appropriate advanced settings for WMV conversion?

How significant are the time and/or space savings using Loose Anamorphic? It certainly wouldn't make much visual difference in this case.

I made a test using the Constant Quality preset and the result looked great. However, it was about 100 MB larger than the original. Should i instead set the bit rate similar to the original video?
refulgentis
Bright Spark User

Re: Best for transcoding WMV?

Post by refulgentis »

Well...
these two are incompatible, you have to pick one: i just want to keep them looking good while putting them into either iTunes/5G iPod/iPod Touch compatible container or MKV
also, using #1 is incompatible with your goals according to: I could start with the Apple Universal setting, but that begins with MP4, smaller dimensions and 25 fps and so doesn't seem to make that much sense

Also, universal doesn't set 25 fps, it sets Same as source for the framerate.

There's really no need to optimize encoding settings based on input format, they all "look" the same to Handbrake. You'll need to decrease the quality setting it sounds like, because Handbrake is trying to keep quality that isn't even in the file. I don't know what quality setting you started at because you didn't say, but starting at around 55% for HD sources and 60% source for SD sources and working your way up if you're not happy is safe.
banWMV

Re: Best for transcoding WMV?

Post by banWMV »

refulgentis wrote:Well...
these two are incompatible, you have to pick one: i just want to keep them looking good while putting them into either iTunes/5G iPod/iPod Touch compatible container or MKV
I think i understand. I was just saying i wasn't really particular about whether i wind up with an Apple compatible OR an MKV (though i'm leaning towards MKV). I didn't mean both so i first thought you meant keeping them looking good and putting them into one of the containers were incompatible. :wink:
Also, universal doesn't set 25 fps, it sets Same as source for the framerate.
That's why i didn't think it was too sensible. If i left the Universal preset as-was, i'd wind up with 25 fps. Am i correct that forcing a change to an NTSC framerate would allow play on a TV but would be detrimental to quality? I haven't had good luck in the past attempting such framerate changes.
There's really no need to optimize encoding settings based on input format, they all "look" the same to Handbrake.
This makes sense to me. I wasn't asking what i meant because i wasn't sure what i meant to ask. But yeah, i see it would be the output that's of consequence, and not the input format. I'm going to have to read the guide once again so i'm clearer about what effects all those settings have on the output file.

I was getting tangled up with frustration that (on a Mac using Flip4Mac anyway) WMV files don't allow jumping or scanning ahead in a video right away because QT seems to take a long time loading them up, such that it's like waiting for an internet connection, and attempting to use the slider to zing forward to a point beyond what's been processed causes play to restart at the beginning. If i wasn't sleepy and my mind blank, i could say that clearer by using the proper terminology. :oops: