DTS passthrough possible with any combination of apps on mac

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
k2snowboards88

DTS passthrough possible with any combination of apps on mac

Post by k2snowboards88 »

Is it possible. I really need to free up some hard drive space and thus far i've had to just leave video_ts files for my movies with DTS sound. I've been looking around and I haven't found any way to encode a dvd into h264 and keep DTS intact. I'm hoping for a solution that will allow me to rip the dts stream out of a dvd and then use mkvmerge to mux it into a handbrake output. I tried using mactheripper to demux the dts stream from the dvd, but mkv merge always says that the dts stream doesn't have a valid header warns the the audio and video will be out of sync. They are by a little over a second. Is there another program that can demux dts out of a dvd that will work well with mkvmerge? Or failing that, is there any way possible to rip a dvd and keep dts passthrough on a mac?

Thanks for reading (and hopefully answering)
Dan

edit: i would have searched but since "dts" is only 3 characters, the search doesn't find anything.
Last edited by k2snowboards88 on Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cvk_b
Veteran User

DTS in MKV possible with patch

Post by cvk_b »

k2snowboards88

Re: DTS passthrough possible with any combination of apps on mac

Post by k2snowboards88 »

Unfortunately that does seem to be a bit beyond me. I don't know how or what that (seemingly) source code is used.
cvk_b
Veteran User

DTS not supported in all containers

Post by cvk_b »

k2snowboards88 wrote:Unfortunately that does seem to be a bit beyond me. I don't know how or what that (seemingly) source code is used.
Sorry. You're just going to have to wait then. Plus, I don't think this is goin' into a release until full (all reasonable containers) are supported. That patch is mainly for dts-in-matroska at this point.
k2snowboards88

Re: DTS passthrough possible with any combination of apps on mac

Post by k2snowboards88 »

So you don't know of any other programs for the mac that can do it either. Pay or free?
golias
Enlightened

Re: DTS not supported in all containers

Post by golias »

cvk_b wrote:
k2snowboards88 wrote:Unfortunately that does seem to be a bit beyond me. I don't know how or what that (seemingly) source code is used.
Sorry. You're just going to have to wait then. Plus, I don't think this is goin' into a release until full (all reasonable containers) are supported. That patch is mainly for dts-in-matroska at this point.
I, for one, would cheerfully accept dts-in-mkv only.

It seems that Apple keeps breaking AC-3 in QuickTime faster than the Perian team can keep up with, so I've long since given up on playing back my surround-sound files via iTunes or FrontPage anyway.

Being able to rip my various DTS disks without losing discrete surround sound would have me doing cartwheels of joy. What container I must use is irrelevant. They all look the same inside a Plex menu anyway.