Deinterlace interlace source to 60FPS

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Lostless
Bright Spark User

Deinterlace interlace source to 60FPS

Post by Lostless »

I'm very impresseed with the new handbrake with its ability to do multible framerates, detelcine, and decomb. Also conversions from 720P sources at 60FPS come out beutiful at 60FPS. I was wondering if there is an option to deinterlace from 480i to 480P at 60FPS. Same with 1080i. ive been doing this with JES deinterlacer, but its a time consuming prosess to convert to DV, do the deinterlacing to 480P, and then convert to Mpeg 4. Maybe i'm missing somthing.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Re: Deinterlace interlace source to 60FPS

Post by jbrjake »

As a video transcoder, HandBrake is a compression tool, so doubling the number of video frames (60 fields to 60frames) doesn't really make sense.

Which isn't to say it couldn't be added. Were I convinced it would actually be useful to people, I'd entertain the notion of implementing it.
Lostless
Bright Spark User

Post by Lostless »

As I said, I can do it with jes deinterlacer, but involves converting to DV, de interlace to 60FPS and then convert to the proper video file. 720P files come out at 60 FPS which is very nice, but they are also already a progressive 60FPS. Its just unfortunate that the original NTSC standard required interlaced frames to save bandwidth. Same with 1080i as I said. What else is unfortunate is that most people don't care or notice the sudden loss in fluid motion when converted to Mpeg4 or avi. If you guys implement it I will be very grateful. If not, so be it. Your guys app is now one of the most useful apps now for video coneversion.
OlivierB

Post by OlivierB »

Lostless, I see your point. It's a problem I have too. My understanding is that Handbrake does a very nice job of converting XXXi to XXXp material in general, especially using x264. But for some content, it just doesn't cut it. My own test bench is a 1080i OTA capture of a hockey game. The only way I found for correct conversion of such content to 60fps without taking the scenic jdeinterlacer route is trough mencoder, using the "tfields" video filter. Only then can I get the same smooth motion of the originial 1080i stream. It's a very crude approach, but it is effective.

Seeing the difference using x264 instead of standard mpeg-4 or xvid, I wonder if this problem won't be solved trough the continuing developpment of x264. As I prowl the Apple TV Section of these forums, I wonder if the solution ain't already out there in the advanced settings.

But I sure would be happy to see something akin to the tfields video filter integrated to Handbrake... Won't hold my breath, tough. HB already is a marvelous tool.

Regards
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

Deinterlacing has absolutely nothing to do with x264, and there is no temporal difference between deinterlacing 1080i and 480i.
OlivierB

Post by OlivierB »

jbrjake wrote:Deinterlacing has absolutely nothing to do with x264, and there is no temporal difference between deinterlacing 1080i and 480i.
My bad, it makes sense. When I use mencoder, the "tfields" video filter is applied by Mencoder who then pass the resulting image to x264...

As for the absence of "temporal difference" between deinterlacing 1080i and 480i, I'm not sure I understand, but I'll try... The example mentioned was actually about 480i and 480p material, and I added my grain of salt concerning 1080i material. Again, I may be mistaken, but when XXXi material is processed in handbrake, it comes out as XXXp material. More precisely, it will max out at XXXp/30, wich makes sense, knowing the filters used by handbrake for deinterlacing. The whole question here was about the possibility of, maybe, seeing handbrake eventualy gain some form of deinterlacing filter that would, say, convert fields into frames and thus preserve the fluidity of motion of the original material.

Quite frankly, outside of a hockey game, I find it quite hard to see the difference between 30 and 60fps...
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

OlivierB wrote:As for the absence of "temporal difference" between deinterlacing 1080i and 480i, I'm not sure I understand
I was replying to this part of your post:
OlivierB wrote:My understanding is that Handbrake does a very nice job of converting XXXi to XXXp material in general, especially using x264. But for some content, it just doesn't cut it. My own test bench is a 1080i OTA capture of a hockey game. The only way I found for correct conversion of such content to 60fps without taking the scenic jdeinterlacer route is trough mencoder, using the "tfields" video filter. Only then can I get the same smooth motion of the originial 1080i stream.
Either it "does a very nice job" or it doesn't. 1080i vs XXXi does not matter. There is no temporal difference between 480i and 1080i, they're both 60 fields, and yadif operates on them the same way.