Forced Subtitles as default?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
megabyteme

Forced Subtitles as default?

Post by megabyteme »

I am using 0.9.3 Windows GUI. Is it possible to add Subtitles: Forced Subtitles to the Advanced String Option? If so, what is the command?

It seems like this would be the default. As I would think most people would want the forced subtitles when they are there. If there are no forced subtitles, it just wouldn't do anything. Anyway, that's how I would like it to be. I am going to run a large music video library through handbrake. Each DVD has 25 music videos that are separate "Titles". Each time I select the next title, the subtitles default back to no subtitles.

I assume that if I can add the proper command to the advanced string it will perform its function even though it is not checked in the gui, right?

Thanks for your help...
megabyteme

Re: Forced Subtitles as default?

Post by megabyteme »

OK.... I think I can just add this to the end of the string

:--subtitle-scan=1:--subtitle-forced=1

I'm just not sure about spaces and if these need to be separated with the colon. Is that correct? Will this enforce forced subtitles even though these options are not selected in the gui?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Now why exactly would you not just check the options in the GUI? It seems rather pointless to manually add them to the CLI query string.

And no, it's not meant to be set in the advanced options, it can be set in the query editor tab by adding "-U -F" just as the GUI does if you enabled it.
megabyteme

Post by megabyteme »

s55 wrote:Now why exactly would you not just check the options in the GUI?
The answer to that question is in my first post. I said "I am going to run a large music video library through handbrake. Each DVD has 25 music videos that are separate "Titles". Each time I select the next title, the subtitles default back to no subtitles."

Therefore I have to re-enable forced subtitles each time I select a new title. That's 25 times I have to re-enable forced subtitles for each DVD I am trying to encode. I am trying to figure out a way to make forced subtitles my personal default. Just selecting it in the gui and making a custom preset doesn't work. As soon as I select a new title even though it is the same DVD image it defaults back to no forced subtitles.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

I've just checked. When using autoselect and forex subs, it does remember them in the preset.

Scan > select preset > Forced and subscan is enabled.

Not all DVD's contain subs, nor is it always the case that a user would want subs for every source (bare in mind they are hard burned in which could ruin a prefecltly good encode queue if you didn't want them) which is why subs are reset for each source scan.
megabyteme

Post by megabyteme »

s55 wrote:I've just checked. When using autoselect and forex subs, it does remember them in the preset.

Scan > select preset > Forced and subscan is enabled.

Not all DVD's contain subs, nor is it always the case that a user would want subs for every source (bare in mind they are hard burned in which could ruin a prefecltly good encode queue if you didn't want them) which is why subs are reset for each source scan.
Here is exactly what I am doing. First, I'm using the Windows GUI on Windows XP.

I am selecting the Apple "Universal" Preset. By default, this preset has subtitles disabled. I enable subtitles: autoselect and check forced subtitles only. I add that TITLE to the queue. When I select the next TITLE it defaults back to no subtitles. Therefore I have to reselect subtitles and check forced subtitles only, 25 times for each DVD. This doesn't happen for you?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Select the Universal Preset, enabled subtitle scan and forced subs and save it as a new preset.
Then, Scan Source, Select your new preset and then add to queue. You'll need to select the preset on different titles to. (Note you may need to change preset first, i.e Universal2 -> other preset -> Universal2, before reselecting the preset as the control used to display presets won't re-select an already selected preset, which means it won't reset the settings correctly)
megabyteme

Post by megabyteme »

s55 wrote:Select the Universal Preset, enabled subtitle scan and forced subs and save it as a new preset.
Then, Scan Source, Select your new preset and then add to queue. You'll need to select the preset on different titles to. (Note you may need to change preset first, i.e Universal2 -> other preset -> Universal2, before reselecting the preset as the control used to display presets won't re-select an already selected preset, which means it won't reset the settings correctly)
OK thanks for that. That is actually what I started doing. Then I realized it took about the same effort to select a different preset then reselect the preset between each title. I realize this probably sounds like a picky request. However, it is an insane amount of clicking around when I've got about 200 DVDs x 25 titles on each DVD to transcode. I could add the titles to the queue much much faster if my custom preset would stick between title selections.

The addition to the string ":--subtitle-scan=1:--subtitle-forced=1" is retained between title selections, but from what you are telling me that won't work. I guess handbrake just won't allow that. :?
megabyteme

Post by megabyteme »

Ahh, what if I do what you said above... Add it to the query.

If I select forced subtitles, then generate a query will I get forced subtitles. It looks like the generated query will stick.

So if I do this I can- select my custom preset and generate a query. Then I will retain these settings throughout the session (until I exit out of handbrake). Right?

EDIT: I don't think that will work either. I guess it is impossible unless a developer will tell me how to change the default.
Last edited by megabyteme on Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

If you generate a query, you'll have to re-generate the query for every new title otherwise you'll have to manually update the title, chatpers and destination tags.
megabyteme

Post by megabyteme »

I figure what I am asking for is impossible unless a developer will tell me how to change the default from within the core of the application. I don't see that happening unless there are enough people requesting the same thing. :cry:
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

The only way to do it, would be to remove the code from the DVD Title dropdown which is responsible for populating the dropdown control. (frmmain.cs)
Remove the subtitle code from presetloader.cs
In theory, that'd do it, but you'd loose the ability to select a specific subtitle track. You'd only get forced subtitles.
http://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/CompileOnWindows#WinGui if you feel like taking a stab at it.

It's not something that will change until HandBrake supports soft subs. The Subtitle menu needs to be repopulated for each title and repopulating it resets the users selection. I wouldn't want to assume that users would want a subtitle with each title/source they encode. Once soft subs (subs that can be turned on/off at playback) are supported, it wouldn't matter if the option remained on since the user could just delete the srt file should they not want subtitles.
load97

Post by load97 »

I wondered the same thing as the original poster. I figured it out though to just add a new preset. Though I still have to reselect my preset for every track in the dvd which is a slight pain. It would be great if they installed an option for the whole dvd(all tracks) to be selected at once or a track at a time if wanted, but I'll make do. Not that big of a pain.
megabyteme

Post by megabyteme »

s55 wrote:I wouldn't want to assume that users would want a subtitle with each title/source they encode.
I don't want to beat this topic to death... I appreciate the fact that you worked with me on this. I just want to point out that I think it would be safe to assume that if the user selects forced subtitles and/or made a preset using forced subtitles that the user would probably want to keep forced subtitles until the user deselected or selected a different preset.

Also, if you check the "best settings" thread you will find that most mention that they use forced subtitles. I mean... who wouldn't want the subtitles in movies like Star Wars and LOTR where someone is talking in some unearthly language. Maybe I don't have full understanding of forced subtitles, but it seems to me that they are "forced" because it is highly unlikely that the viewer will have a chance at understanding the person or thing trying to communicate.

Just my .02. I'm not trying to bicker. I just really think the ability to have forced subtitles as a user defined default makes sense.

Meanwhile, I am getting by with using two identical presets so I can "one click" my audio settings back into place after new title selections.

BTW, I have my collection about 1/3 finished using 0.9.3. It's looking great! Many thanks to the developers and anyone else who has contributed to handbrake.