This has to be the S L O W E S T piece of software...

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
ulrichburke

This has to be the S L O W E S T piece of software...

Post by ulrichburke »

Dear Everyone.

This ISN'T a tech query, it's a statement of fact.

I wanted to chop a Spongebob Squarepants epic-length collection of episodes into separate episodes. So I downloaded this, because it was recommended to me. And it is the SLOWEST thing I've EVER seen! I tried chopping 20 minutes from a 3-hour DVD and it took 3 hours to do what it called Part 1, whatever that means. Then Part 2 came up.

EIGHT HOURS!!!! TO CHOP 20 MINUTES OF VIDEO OUT. Like.... life's too short. Three short, even.

My motherboard isn't a top-of-the-range jobbie, it's an AMD Sempron, but... eight hours? For 20 minutes of video? Do you lot consider that normal?

I'm gonna try DVD Knife, see if that's any faster!

Yours disgruntledly,

ulrichburke
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Re: This has to be the S L O W E S T piece of software...

Post by Ritsuka »

You know, if you want you can make it go even slower.
Or change the encoder to ffmpeg or xvid.

But HandBrake isn't any slower than any comparable video transcoder.
realityking
Veteran User

Post by realityking »

What settings did you use? Using less quality and filesize oriented settings can reduce the time needed for encoding significantly.
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

Given that it sounds like what you were looking for is more along the lines of MPEG StreamClip, it's pretty silly to blame the tool when you chose the wrong tool for the job...even if your friend recommended it to you. A little common sense goes a long way.

Rodney
jzietman
Enlightened

Post by jzietman »

Also, the AMD Sempron isn't exactly the most powerful processor. Using one of those, you cannot expect much faster encodes than that. x264 (which I assume is what you were using) is a very advanced but also resource-heavy encoder.
mjgolli

Post by mjgolli »

I encode 22 minute episodes of my favorite animated show with HB 0.93 from DVD ripped to hard disk. I use h.264 and strict anamorphic (they are widescreen) and other good settings for the Apple TV. It takes about 45 mins to 1 hour for each episode on a dual Xeon hyperthreaded workstation (Dell Precision 470) with 1 Gb RAM.

Is that a long time? Perhaps. Is it worth it? Absolutely! That's why HB has a queue...load 'em up, start it before bedtime and they're done when I get home from work. No muss, no fuss. The output is truly amazing and worth any investment in time.
saltyzoo

Post by saltyzoo »

ulrichburke wrote:Dear Everyone.

This ISN'T a tech query, it's a statement of fact.
No, it's not a statement of fact, it's a statement of your opinion. It's actually based on little to no fact whatsoever.
I wanted to chop a Spongebob Squarepants epic-length collection of episodes into separate episodes. So I downloaded this, because it was recommended to me. And it is the SLOWEST thing I've EVER seen! I tried chopping 20 minutes from a 3-hour DVD and it took 3 hours to do what it called Part 1, whatever that means. Then Part 2 came up.
Maybe you ought to figure out "whatever that means" before pretending to know enough to complain about something?
EIGHT HOURS!!!! TO CHOP 20 MINUTES OF VIDEO OUT. Like.... life's too short. Three short, even.
What's the link to the software you've written that does this faster?
My motherboard isn't a top-of-the-range jobbie, it's an AMD Sempron, but... eight hours? For 20 minutes of video? Do you lot consider that normal?
No, you are not normal.
I'm gonna try DVD Knife, see if that's any faster!
Good for you.
Yours disgruntledly,

ulrichburke
You can't be disgruntled over free software. You can be a jerk. You can be inconsiderate. You can have unrealistic expectations. You can punch a bunch of buttons without paying any attention to what you are doing. You can blame others for your inability to understand. You can be pompous. You can be a windbag.

But you can't be disgruntled when nobody here charged you, or even asked you to use the software that they were nice enough to make available to you.
ozmosis82
Novice

Post by ozmosis82 »

I don't know what settings you used, but a 2 hour movie takes me about 3-4 hours to encode on average. That doesn't take into account the differences in hardware (and I'm pretty sure that a Core 2 Duo wipes the floor with a Sempron).
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

yep, with identical settings 0.9.3 is unequivocably faster. Period. People are conflating the newer higher quality presets as meaning HB has slown down. Not the case.

While I am very happy that most folk have found reliance on the built in presets in HB. This is an unfortunate side effect.
Quality and Speed ... pick one ... its the eternal struggle of video encoding.

Note: there is a reason that right before the release of 0.9.3 we added the 0.9.2 Apple legacy presets back in.
ijfoote

Post by ijfoote »

I have a statement of fact: HB rocks!!! Um, seriously, free software for a program to help me stay ahead of the digital media curve, absolutely awesome. And for speed, in my experience, 9.3 is significantly faster than 9.2. We'll leave it there, don't feel like looking up the specs on the computer I use, but it at least seems faster. Again, awesome effin job on an awesome piece of software.
ebernet

Post by ebernet »

I am amazed actually by how fast HB is. On my Mac Pro tower (granted, Dual Quad Core Xeon 2.8 with 6 GB of RAM), I encoded Iron Man, a 2:06 long movie, in 35 minutes. That was Universal setting, with the 2.0 audio track encoded to 160 AAC, and the 5.1 sent as a passthrough AC-3, with the comb filter turned on. I was blown away. To even think I could get near real time would have impressed me, but I got close to 4 X real time. You guys are doing excellent work, and I really appreciate your efforts. Please don't let your hard work be tarnished by ungrateful posters like the originator of this thread.