HandBrake 0.9.3: Released!

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Re: HandBrake 0.9.3: Released!

Post by dynaflash »

Again, make sure its vlc 0.9.xx and its in your /Applications folder, not your user/applications folder.

simply put : Macintosh HD/Applications
mattmongan

Post by mattmongan »

I rebooted and it works fine. I don't notice any change in function. Thanks for unifying my transcode experience. Now I don't need VisualHub!!! Not that i dislike it but the lack of support makes it a poor choice for a long term tool.

Also thanks for the clarifacation on the decision to outsource internal DVD function. You are more eloquent than your compatriot.
paulyholly

Post by paulyholly »

Previous versions posted the framerate of the source in framerate drop-down window. Since I'm primarily dealing with film at 24 fps and video at 29.97 fps, I always knew I would need to deinterlace video. Now, it appears with this new version that I can't see the framerate of the source. How can I check this now with 0.9.3? :?
bklynherrold

Post by bklynherrold »

wow, thanks so much. good work.
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

paulyholly wrote:Previous versions posted the framerate of the source in framerate drop-down window. Since I'm primarily dealing with film at 24 fps and video at 29.97 fps, I always knew I would need to deinterlace video. Now, it appears with this new version that I can't see the framerate of the source. How can I check this now with 0.9.3? :?
Easy answer -- Enable the detelecine and decomb filters and don't worry about it!
devburke

Post by devburke »

Personal Note: I frankly cannot get over what a huge deal it is for some on the mac side to simply download vlc and stick it in /Applications, once that is done (and any serious mac videophile already has it) HB acts just as it always has. Cripes, if you've never used it as a media player you are in for a treat to boot.
It's not that it's a huge deal, I'd just prefer not to install extra software that I'm not gonna use (and I assume other people have similar reasons). But I understand the reasoning, so next time I need to rip a DVD, I'll install VLC. I have used it as a media player, and I actually found it really messy and unattractive, and when I tried to use it for a transcode, it didn't work. Quicktime + Perian + Flip4Mac works brilliantly for me.
Da Man
Bright Spark User

Post by Da Man »

To kind of expand on one of my last posts, I noticed that it might be slower. Does it seem slower? It FEELS slower, if you know what I mean. Why did you guys slow it down? I don't know anything about programming, designing a single program to be cross-platform, or anything else for that matter when it comes to computers and doesn't involve clicking or typing in chapter names (and posting, obviously), but why is it so slow? Did you guys do that on purpose? And if it hasn't been asked, can I use Handbrake for ripping disks?
Da Man
Bright Spark User

Post by Da Man »

Oh, and one other thing. After I describe a problem with Handbrake crashing, and blame your program, (because it can't be the hundreds of 'dodgy' websites I visit, or 20 other shareware programs people stopped supporting years ago I'm running in the background) I might get around to posting an activity log. Before I finish typing this, however, there's something in annoying red lettering in a red box at the top of the screen that keeps catching my eye. Oh, nevermind. That can't be something that pertains to me. Cheers. And fix my problem.
Da Man
Bright Spark User

Post by Da Man »

I'll stop now. I just thought if people read this, they might find it was confusing, until they typed their first post. Seriously, this site would consume half of the server storage if the phrase 'post an activity log for help' were filtered out. Anyways, great job guys, I've got 4 queued up, and I'll stop posting stuff like this. Posting and drinking a handbrake don't go together.
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

To kind of expand on one of my last posts, I noticed that it might be slower. Does it seem slower? It FEELS slower, if you know what I mean. Why did you guys slow it down? I don't know anything about programming, designing a single program to be cross-platform, or anything else for that matter when it comes to computers and doesn't involve clicking or typing in chapter names (and posting, obviously), but why is it so slow? Did you guys do that on purpose? And if it hasn't been asked, can I use Handbrake for ripping disks?
The commonly-used presets have different settings, which change how quickly an encode performs. You can use the legacy presets to use the exact same settings as .9.2.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Um, nightstorm I am pretty sure Da Man is totally tongue in cheek :) He's making fun of users whining. On irc TedJ wanted to give him post of the day.
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

dynaflash wrote:Um, nightstorm I am pretty sure Da Man is totally tongue in cheek :) He's making fun of users whining. On irc TedJ wanted to give him post of the day.
Ah... I typically don't pick up on that sort of stuff before my first cup of coffee in the morning. :lol:
saverio

Post by saverio »

Hi everyone and very very many thanks to all devs and admins for the great work done, both with the program, that gets cleaner and cleaner with each release, and with the forum, by maintaining the level of discussion very high by squashing trolls and noobs. I am a noob and I was squashed just at the right time. Anyway. Glad to see (it's from at least Snapshot 1 or 2) complete control of audio tracks. I hoped that in view of possibli getting the tv to choose language by selecting digi/anal output, but since then I got a pch so I don't need it anymore. Glad to see the astonishing quality of the preset, just a little (not a complain to you) complain (to the pch soft/hard/anyware) that a Anime series (Heidi) ripped in constant quality is played perfectly by vlc but the pch have some glitches. not a complain not a feature request not a [Censored] complain. Very unreadable post if you got here you have really much time to lose. Thanks to the devs. Not a post that pretends to be post of the day nor of the night nor anything. Maybe I'll banned, it's ok, I think i'll need no more tech support, HB is already perfect. Goodnight. Omygod.
mistercoffee

Post by mistercoffee »

Qynnix wrote:Congrats on this eagerly awaited release!
0.9.3 fail to rip Fred Claus and Hancock, hangs reading source on Mac Pro and iMac. Restored 0.9.2 and it worked fine. Thank goodness (Apple) for Time Machine.
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

mistercoffee wrote:
Qynnix wrote:Congrats on this eagerly awaited release!
0.9.3 fail to rip Fred Claus and Hancock, hangs reading source on Mac Pro and iMac. Restored 0.9.2 and it worked fine. Thank goodness (Apple) for Time Machine.
... Or installing vlc and enjoying the new features of .9.3.

Does this really need to be in the announcement thread?
Polygon
Novice

Post by Polygon »

honestly, how hard is it to type one line on why dvd decoding support was taken out?

Was it because of legal reasons? a yes or a no would suffice...

I hate having to sound so condescending but honestly, i don't understand why your keeping your reasons for taking this out a secret. its an open source project........and for the record i'm not complaining (i have the library installed already) but it would really help to know why so i could maybe answer other people's questions when they are curious about it themselves. I know it was not present in windows cause it was unable to compile under whatever it is you use to compile it under windows....but why take it out of the linux one as well?
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

Polygon wrote:honestly, how hard is it to type one line on why dvd decoding support was taken out?

I hate having to sound so condescending but honestly, i don't understand why your keeping your reasons for taking this out a secret. its an open source project........and for the record i'm not complaining (i have the library installed already) but it would really help to know why so i could maybe answer other people's questions when they are curious about it themselves. I know it was not present in windows cause it was unable to compile under whatever it is you use to compile it under windows....but why take it out of the linux one as well?
I think it has already been said why... a talented developer that works on the project requested it (due to their real job), and the team obliged.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

Polygon wrote:honestly, how hard is it to type one line on why dvd decoding support was taken out?
David Chartier got an answer for his article in Ars Technica. You know why? Because he came to us and asked why politely instead of demanding that we tell him because he was entitled to an answer.
No.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

dynaflash wrote:Fair enough. But its not that we don't want anyone to know. Its frankly simply because in some geographical areas the use of libdvdcss is rather ... a gray area. Since the HB project wants to attract as many skilled dev's as possible it just makes sense to gracefully remove a possible barrier to entry. Nothing more, nothing less. It is what it is.

Personal Note: I frankly cannot get over what a huge deal it is for some on the mac side to simply download vlc and stick it in /Applications, once that is done (and any serious mac videophile already has it) HB acts just as it always has. Cripes, if you've never used it as a media player you are in for a treat to boot.
I said it one page ago. Now can we drop it ?
Yank

Post by Yank »

Any chance that this new, complete control over audio supports encoding an AC3 track along with a commentary track on the same file...that will work through Apple TV?

Or perhaps this was already solved, and if that's the case please enlighten me :)

-Ryan
gaknab

Post by gaknab »

This is a very handy app, keep up the good work guys. I have one question though: With the new 0.9.3 release, with the Apple TV preset the bitrate of the output file has decreased signifcantly, and it takes a lot more time to encode the media and the final file size is approx 40% smaller than using the 0.9.2 Apple TV preset. My question is that is it the same quality as the old Apple TV preset, because now a 45min TV show takes approx 600MB sapce insted of 1GB and the data rate is 1400kbits/sec instead of 2600kbits/sec.
If anybody knows anything please let me know beacuse I`m considering to use the old Apple TV preset until it is not confirmed thet the new one has about the same quality output.

Thanks a lot guys and have a nice day
gaknab
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Yank wrote:Any chance that this new, complete control over audio supports encoding an AC3 track along with a commentary track on the same file...that will work through Apple TV?
The CLI has the capability, due to the limited application of the feature though its not in the gui's yet.
A patch has been posted and confirmed to work in the dev forum for some time. Though has not been updated for a while and doesn't apply to svn head.
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

gaknab wrote:This is a very handy app, keep up the good work guys. I have one question though: With the new 0.9.3 release, with the Apple TV preset the bitrate of the output file has decreased signifcantly, and it takes a lot more time to encode the media and the final file size is approx 40% smaller than using the 0.9.2 Apple TV preset. My question is that is it the same quality as the old Apple TV preset, because now a 45min TV show takes approx 600MB sapce insted of 1GB and the data rate is 1400kbits/sec instead of 2600kbits/sec.
If anybody knows anything please let me know beacuse I`m considering to use the old Apple TV preset until it is not confirmed thet the new one has about the same quality output.
Since the later x264 version in HandBrake uses psychovisual encoding quite heavily, and we switched from bitrate-based encoding to CRF encoding, it is impossible to directly compare qualities. Use your eyes to answer.

Rodney
z1ross

Post by z1ross »

first thank you for the wonderful app and i love it, but as much as this new version is good you have become sloppy. I hope that these issues get corrected soon.

OK I have no problem with the use of using VLC's css file, but being lazy and not providing an option to find or locate VLC if its not in the Applications folder or have it look in the Applications folder and any sub-folders.?!?!? Would that have been so hard? Now I can't run it at all So I've reverted to the previous version.

I'm running on my MAC Pro over 250 Programs, and only an idiot would leave them all in the one applications folder. So I have sub-folders, a Video.apps, Imaging.apps, and Audio.apps folders since I have a slew of these programs. And just having the app look for VLC in the applications folder and any sub-folders would have made sense. I hope to see an update to at least this issue fairly quickly as I'm not relocating other programs or making syme-links just to get another program to run. If i wanted to mess around with hacking programs and apps then I wouldn't even bother buying them.

Also I have noticed that the speed is now a fair bit slower after grabbing some new kids movies to my video library for. So whats up with that??

Keep up the Great work, and if your looking for someone to beta-test, I'm always a good candidate as I have multiple systems, and they are not all configured the same, as the new version of Handbrake works fine on my 17"MBP as I don't have a ton of crap loaded on it...lol.

-Z1ross
realityking
Veteran User

Post by realityking »

z1ross wrote: OK I have no problem with the use of using VLC's css file, but being lazy and not providing an option to find or locate VLC if its not in the Applications folder or have it look in the Applications folder and any sub-folders.?!?!? Would that have been so hard? Now I can't run it at all So I've reverted to the previous version.
Yes it would. Look at this patch that includes the path to VLC: http://trac.handbrake.fr/browser/trunk/ ... h?rev=1354. To do what you want the devs would need to add totally new api calls to libdvdread (which is unmaintained) to give it the location of the library. Keep in mind pre ripping with another Software has been recommended long before 0.9.3.
z1ross wrote: Also I have noticed that the speed is now a fair bit slower after grabbing some new kids movies to my video library for. So whats up with that??
Did you compare the same settings? Many presets have been tweaked for quality at the cost of speed (as noted in the release notes), you'll find some of the older Presets in the legacy folders. Use those for comparison.
z1ross wrote: Keep up the Great work, and if your looking for someone to beta-test, I'm always a good candidate as I have multiple systems, and they are not all configured the same, as the new version of Handbrake works fine on my 17"MBP as I don't have a ton of crap loaded on it...lol.
Feedback on Snapshots (those are basically betas) is always appreciated, keep a look on the forum for future snapshots.