HandBrake 0.9.3: Released!

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: HandBrake 0.9.3: Released!

Post by s55 »

From the announcement:
The presets are now "nested" in folders and have evolved. Notably, there is a new Apple "Universal" preset, designed to play and look good doing so on anything from an iPod Nano to an AppleTV.

There have been many changes to most of them. Please be aware that most presets now use different settings. This means most of them are not suited for benchmarking 0.9.3 against 0.9.2. For example, the AppleTV preset is slower because it is now quality based, and produces much more efficient output. The Normal preset uses psychovisual rate distortion. The High Profile presets use psychovisual trellising. All of these setting changes can influence encoding time and output file size.

For comparison purposes, there are several presets in the Apple->Legacy folder (the old iPod High-Rez, the old AppleTV, and the old iPhone presets) which remain unchanged since 0.9.2.
Nemesis7

Post by Nemesis7 »

Congratulations guys! This is a mayor change. Just too sweet!
Not sure if this has been discussed before, but are you planning on adding selectable/soft subs to movies? (for the iPhone). That would make this app pretty much perfect! Thanks again!
devburke

Post by devburke »

MTR can work well if it's Version 3 or above.
So until version 3 is publicly available, I need to use an alternative? I thought I remembered MTR being officially recommended before, even though version 2.6.6 is still the latest release, so it seems weird that it wouldn't work.
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

devburke wrote:
MTR can work well if it's Version 3 or above.
So until version 3 is publicly available, I need to use an alternative? I thought I remembered MTR being officially recommended before, even though version 2.6.6 is still the latest release, so it seems weird that it wouldn't work.
2.6.6 is very old, it doesn't have a chance against most of the new protection schemes out today. As for 3.0 becoming publically available, don't hold your breath.
fictionpimp

Post by fictionpimp »

I have to say I am in love with this application. Finally I have a way to convert without breaking out ffmpegX to format shift.

It was great for ripping my dvd's to watch on my xbox, but now it's great because it is a single tool I can use for everything.

I love you guys!
Kashmar

Post by Kashmar »

MacTheRipper is NOT the only choice.. I donated for a 3.0 license but I don't use it any more because I found RipIt. Fixed price, free upgrades, no license-file and 99.996% of the appx. 20k disks they know people have given to it have successfully been ripped.
Sorry for the plug here, but I don't feel like MTR should be talked of as the only DVD-ripper for Mac.
Nemesis7

Post by Nemesis7 »

Btw, is it possible to manually add manual chapters (for movie files that don't have chapter info stored in them)? The cool thing about handbrake is that the chapters actually start where they supposed to (unlike doing it manually in Quicktime). Thanks for that!
Kashmar

Post by Kashmar »

You can use MetaX to do that (I haven't done it myself, but the option is there).
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

Kashmar wrote:You can use MetaX to do that (I haven't done it myself, but the option is there).
No you can't... using MetaX to edit chapters in current Handbrake encodes will result in a file with no chapters. It has been this way for sometime, and requires a MetaX update to fix (I haven't seen/heard from the author in sometime now).
Kashmar

Post by Kashmar »

Ah ok, my bad. I stand corrected and thanks for the info. :)
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

I've read that SimpleMovieX is a functional replacement.

Rodney
Nemesis7

Post by Nemesis7 »

So isn't it possible to use the --markers flag to use external chapter files? For example:
--markers="chapters.txt"

If possible, which format should it be in?
Da Man
Bright Spark User

Post by Da Man »

I'd also like to complain. So with the release of .9.3, it encodes better, has more options, handles multiple audio streams, and has a simple-to-use preset menu? And I didn't help in the development process whatsoever? This is a travesty. An apology from the Handbrake Dev Team should be in a pop-up box everytime this application is launched (which is everyday). How do any of you sleep at night with this on your conscience? :oops:

Just kidding guys. It's a beautiful program, works great, and is a joy to use. Donation to follow shortly. :D
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Donation to follow shortly.
We don't accept donations.
If you want to contribute write a patch for something or provide useful feedback when we release developer snapshot releases.
Da Man
Bright Spark User

Post by Da Man »

Are you serious? Now I'm just humbled. My sincerest thanks for a job well done. Have a happy thanksgiving (for those of you in the US, legal province, or non-native american indian). Cheers.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Da Man wrote:I'd also like to complain. So with the release of .9.3, it encodes better, has more options, handles multiple audio streams, and has a simple-to-use preset menu? And I didn't help in the development process whatsoever? This is a travesty. An apology from the Handbrake Dev Team should be in a pop-up box everytime this application is launched (which is everyday). How do any of you sleep at night with this on your conscience? :oops:

Just kidding guys. It's a beautiful program, works great, and is a joy to use. Donation to follow shortly. :D
Now THAT was funny ! Glad you like it.
devburke

Post by devburke »

Nemesis7 wrote:Btw, is it possible to manually add manual chapters (for movie files that don't have chapter info stored in them)? The cool thing about handbrake is that the chapters actually start where they supposed to (unlike doing it manually in Quicktime). Thanks for that!
If you edit them within Handbrake before running the conversion, it works fine without the need for any external program. However, once the video file is created, I dunno.

On an unrelated note, I have heard people say that the interface was pretty confusing (I find it easy enough, but there is a lot going on which can be intimidating to a new user), so I wonder if it would be a good idea to have a very simplified version (maybe including the presets, source, title, chapters, output, and queue) with an "Advanced" button to expand to the full interface? This would make it more friendly for noobs, and perhaps prettier all around. I realize you don't have and responsibility to design it for noobs and may not particularly care about how pretty it is, but it's just an idea of something that I think might be an improvement.

Thanks again for working so hard to make such great software! This release is so great since now Handbrake is the only video converter I'll ever need. I recently had to use iSquint to convert a bunch of videos for my iPod touch, and while the quality wasn't awful, it was noticeably worse than that of videos I'd ripped from DVDs with Handbrake. Even before iSquint and VisualHub shut down, iSquint was pretty out of date.
Last edited by devburke on Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
krs

Post by krs »

I'm running Ubuntu 8.04, I've downloaded Handbrake 0.9.3, but it won't start.

Where can I found the 1797svn1 (who worked for me) ? I have deleted the .deb

Or where can I found a working package for Ubuntu 8.04?

thank you.
Abulia

Post by Abulia »

Would like to take pause to add my voices to the chorus of another fantastic job by the HandBrake team. Amazing work!
wfbnadador

Post by wfbnadador »

jbrjake wrote: You are in no position to be demanding anything from any of us.

This is the problem with open source users, right here.

"Give me" this, "Say" that and "I will gladly accept." Can't even be bothered to qualify your imperative demands with a "please."

No one owes you a damned thing. Not an explanation, not internal DVD decrypting, not this forum, not the continued existence of HandBrake at all.

Maybe you should "gladly accept" that other people choose to put their time into something you want to use, and make it available to you, and support it for you, and just leave it at that, eh?
alright jonathon, lets take it easy there champ. you have a lot of fans here on this forum, many who would be willing to pay for handbrake as it would be a great affordable tool.

and there is no "problem with open source users" just problems with disgruntled open source developers. we're not peeved. we're curious. and again, just because we aren't as cool as you and your infinite developer wisdom doesn't mean we serve no value. we spread the word and tell our friends about it.

so stop treating us like garbage. and start accepting donations, or at least do yourself the service of placing your names in the credits.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

wfbnadador wrote:alright jonathon, lets take it easy there champ. you have a lot of fans here on this forum, many who would be willing to pay for handbrake as it would be a great affordable tool.

and there is no "problem with open source users" just problems with disgruntled open source developers. we're not peeved. we're curious. and again, just because we aren't as cool as you and your infinite developer wisdom doesn't mean we serve no value. we spread the word and tell our friends about it.

so stop treating us like garbage. and start accepting donations, or at least do yourself the service of placing your names in the credits.
"jonathan" ? Let it go. He is right. Its how HB is now for a variety of reasons. Don't be so condescending, especially to probably the one dev/admin that deserves the most thanks. Just let it go.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

You know, users who come along and treat us respectfully, have no issues, and are happy when someone gives up their free time to help them. So I wonder where the problem is.
wfbnadador

Post by wfbnadador »

s55 wrote: You know, users who come along and treat us respectfully, have no issues, and are happy when someone gives up their free time to help them. So I wonder where the problem is.
honestly, I do respect you guys. between dynaflash, s55 and jbrjake, I've looked around the Trac, compiled early versions and seen how much you three contribute. I guess all I'm trying to say is that with Handbrake there's a great community here (some of us learning to code just so we could help or contribute to this or projects like this). When we ask why its not because we insist. It's because we sympathize, whether it be for technical reasons or legal reasons, we stand behind you. That said, consider the topic, as dynaflash requested, dropped. If you guys don't want anyone to know, then you're right. We really don't need to know.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Fair enough. But its not that we don't want anyone to know. Its frankly simply because in some geographical areas the use of libdvdcss is rather ... a gray area. Since the HB project wants to attract as many skilled dev's as possible it just makes sense to gracefully remove a possible barrier to entry. Nothing more, nothing less. It is what it is.

Personal Note: I frankly cannot get over what a huge deal it is for some on the mac side to simply download vlc and stick it in /Applications, once that is done (and any serious mac videophile already has it) HB acts just as it always has. Cripes, if you've never used it as a media player you are in for a treat to boot.
mattmongan

Post by mattmongan »

Great timing with the recent dismantling of Visualhub. I have not tried other formats but DVD decryption does not work at the moment, i will reboot and try again. (yes, I have VLC installed). Thus far, the removal of internal DVD acceptance is inconvenient. Everything else looks good and I look forward to comparing the versatility of the new features to VisualHub.